Chapter 5

Monday Morning.

I hate Mondays. Dread them passionately. I do the same routine over and over again and eventhough I love normal routines, I sometimes feel like there is something missing. But I can't worry about that feeling so much now because it must just be high school coming to an end.

I look around the outdoor patio, again, searching for my friends. I spot Jasmine, smiling and nodding her head. Her attention is on someone and when my eyes follow hers, I catch a glimpse of who.

His green eyes meet mine and so does his smile.

I approach them and when I stand a few feet away from him, I can't help but scratch the back of my neck and turn to Jasmine, her eyes light in amusement.

"Hi." I mumble.

"Hi." Eli counters.

I turn back to him and he shakes his head and points at Jasmine. "Oh. You meant that to her...uhh....okay."

"No. It's okay. Hi, Eli."

"Hi, Emma."

Jasmine makes some hissing sound and she stands up, dusting her pants off. "Well, I think Chris is out of his class so I'm going to go look for him. As for you two lovebirds, quit being so shy."

She walks away and Eli steps up in front of me, his hands go to my cheek and he cups them gently.

"I've missed you."

"Eli. You always say this." I blush and look over to my classroom. I should be inside already.

I don't always tend to go early, but I do if I want to stay away from Anthony's constant questions on what I feel for Eli.

I love Eli. I love him as a friend, I wish I did love him as more and I've known him long enough to be able to love him. but there's something missing.

There is always something missing in my life and I don't know what it is.

"You look beautiful today." He bites his lip.....his lip ring actually.

Can anything look more perfect?

"So.....when are you going to let me take you out on that date, Emma?" He balances his weight off each leg.

"When are you going to serenade me with a 5SOS song, Eli?"

He chuckles and leans forward. "Always teasing."

As I am about to speak, he presses his thumb on my chin and pecks my lips.

I know what you're thinking. Is she dating him? No. I am not. I sometimes wish I was, but then I get hit by reality and I understand how difficult it would be to balance school and a boy with effort put into both. And right now, I know I have to work hard to show those colleges I have already applied to that I will not slack off at all.

I smack his shoulder and he grins from cheek to cheek.

"You've got to stop doing that!" I defend, but can't keep my heart from beating rapidly.

"You wouldn't be saying that if I was your boyfriend."

Oh no.

"Eli, you know how I feel about this." I honestly wouldn't mind, but I know I have my priorities to straighten, and a boyfriend won't help that.

"But why? I need to know why we can't at least try to make it work? We're techincally a couple in everyone's eyes and I like you too much to say otherwise when they ask." He counters.

I look at his faltering smile and shrug my shoulders. "Can we just wait until high school ends?"

(A/N: Picture of Eli Mayfield as Eli Mayfield)