Chapter 9: Confessions

21:30 KNST (Kanto Standard Time)

Indigo Stadium

PWC Match: Ash vs Lance

Ash was in shock. He won. He actually won. Greninja froze Dragonite and Charizard brute-forced his way through a Charizard and a legendary Golem.

A decade ago he was pretending to be Lance, with a bedsheet as his cape and a pillow as his Dragonite staying up past his bedtime. Now here he was, the new (unofficial) champion of Kanto. He'd be so proud of himself for achieving his past goals.

Later that night.....

There was no time for celebrations, however. Lance had been beaten now but he would be back with a vendetta and nothing is more dangerous than an animal backed in a corner.

Ash had announced immediately after the match that he was going back to Alola for his second matchup against Lance. So he flew back to Pallet the next morning and took off for Alola soon thereafter. He got a text message from Misty. That made leaving Kanto easier.

Arriving in Alola......

Ash touched down in Melemele again. He had his team and his friends by his side and he felt pretty dang confident about it. Both Sceptile and Infernape could dish out some serious damage. And of course, Pikachu was as tough as ever. His primary concern was elsewhere from training for the upcoming match. Serena and him hadn't talked much ever since he rejected Misty which he still felt bad about. He'd have to talk to her. Suddenly, an idea sprang into his head. He knew the perfect spot to catch a sunset. He'd talk to Serena and finally address what happened in the airport between the two of them. And maybe? Walk away with a girlfriend. Or at the very least, closure.

One week before the matchup.....

Serena was getting back from a day of pretty much nothing. She had gone to the beach, gone shopping and explored all that Alola had to offer. But something felt off.... She felt like she was missing something, or rather someone. She hadn't talked with Ash much after he rejected Misty and she felt slightly guilty about the fact. She just didn't want to make things awkward and ruin anything between them. These doubts were cured when Serena got a text from him. It was simply "Meet me outside."

Ash was waiting with Charizard. He looked at her and flashed her a smile. "Hey.....it's been a while, let's go get some food. Just us two. I know a spot that you'd like." Ash grabbed onto Charizard and flew up and away, dragging Serena along with him.

He landed about fifteen minutes later and grabbed her hand, taking her into a restaurant where some boxed food was waiting for him. Ash laid a bill on the table and grabbed the boxed meal and went back outside and got back on Charizard. Dragging a very confused Serena back

Ash flew for a few more minutes before he landed on the summit of a small cliff, inaccessible to all but those who had flying Pokémon. Ash was feeling nervous. He had planned out this "date" with Burnet and Kukui because he needed to address the kiss in the airport. It had gone on long enough and he was sick of not knowing her feelings and her not knowing his. He'd confess today and either have a great story or a girlfriend. Either way it's a win-win.

Ash landed gently and helped Serena off Charizard who he returned to his Poke Ball.

The two of them sat in silence for a moment before Ash motioned his hand towards the food and they started eating up.

About an hour later.....

The sun was setting and Ash was ready to address the big question. He took a deep breath and looked Serena in the eye. "Hey Serena, do you remember the Lumiose airport?" Serena turned bright red and shyly nodded. Ash looked at her and inched closer. "I'll be frank Serena, I've been thinking a lot recently about that kiss. One of the best and worst things about Alola was removing my density. Kukui and my friends helped me learn some hints and I've improved on that front a lot." Ash scratched his head and laughed. "But in all seriousness, Serena I've seriously enjoyed traveling with you so much, so I gotta ask. Why have you been ignoring me these past couple days."