Chapter Twelve: Hell on Hollow Hill

Once the plan got passed around from Defect to man and from man to Defect, it was almost dusk. Thunder took to his new arm like a fly to butter, and KITT stayed on standby at the farm, waiting in case Thunder called him. Hollow Hill was quiet, General zoning out at the base of the hill by the edge of the fence.

"You have eyes on him, Grant?" General asked.

"Not yet, did Christine get the wall knocked out?" Grant rumbled in return.

"She's just about got it. Question for you, Thunder, where's Reid now?"

"Just left the used car dealership, headin' down Willow Road," Thunder replied.

"Grant, he'll be right on top of you in a minute, get ready to run."

"One less psycho runnin' around," Cooter chimed in. "Besides us," he added.

"General, another thing, you never said what we were going to do with him once we actually caught him," Christine rumbled.

"I was kinda countin' on Grant to help us out with that," General explained.

"I say we lock him in a box floating down the river," Grant scoffed.

"Would you look at that, three days in the South and he's already startin' to think like us!" Thunder rumbled.

"What about the Osage chain gang? That oughta straighten him out," Cooter suggested.

They all grew silent.

"That's a bit cruel, don't you think?" General asked.

"No," Grant butted in quickly.

"But--"

"No. That's just right, maybe not even good enough."

"Alright, Osage it is," Thunder rumbled in agreement.

There was a short silence among them, until Grant suddenly said, "Guys, I see him."

"You remember how to get back here to Hollow Hill?"

"Yeah, I can get there on my own."

"Alright, see you on the other side," General rumbled.

"Good luck, Grant," Christine chimed in.

Grant nodded and switched off his CB, turning to face the north-facing hill. As a pair of headlights topped it, he revved his engine, staying put for ten counts, allowing Reid to get just close enough. Reid suddenly cut the headlights of his car, speeding up. At that, Grant took off, tearing down the dirt road and up through the pass. He flew past Cottontail Road, out of the woods and into the countryside, making a beeline south for Hell.

--------------------

Bo knocked an arrow, taking a practice aim, pointing it towards a situated spot on the treeline.

"You alright?" Luke asked him.

He relaxed the bow and set it on General's hood. "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

Luke shrugged. "Just thought I'd ask, sorry."

They sat in silence for an uncomfortable moment or two before Bo asked with a hint of anger in his voice, "You really wanna know what's been botherin' me, Luke?"

Luke didn't reply but instead gave him a concerned look.

"It's you."

"What?"

"You. Luke, I've been wonderin' when you're gonna go back on your word. When you might all of a sudden decide to kill yourself like you did a while ago. Here I am, tryin' to cope with this the only way I know how, and you take everythin' so seriously. I'm sorry, I just... the way you get so broken up every time I mention it."