Birthdays

November 2, 1971

"Happy Birthday!" James called to Lizzie. She had just gone down to the common room.

"Thank you," she yawned. She hadn't completely woken up yet.

"So, what do you want to do today?" Sirius asked her.

"I guess go to class. It's a Tuesday,"

"Okay, but later today,"

"How about we explore that hole we found by the weird statue,"

"If you want to," Remus answered.

"Breakfast?" Lizzie suggested that they go to the Great Hall. She noticed right away that they never did do anything for Peter's birthday. Everyone wished him a good one and they did things that he liked, but they didn't have the fun time they had discussed.

"Yeah, let's go,"

"Happy birthday," Sirius moved so that he would be standing next to her, "Remus told me to tell you that tonight he won't be able to join us for anything, but he wishes he could be there,"

"Why didn't Remus just tell me that?"

"He feels bad,"

"So, he's going to ignore me?"

"I guess, I mean, he had no right to act that way, but he does that mysterious thing where he just disappears to the hospital wing sometimes.

"Yeah, he does, I guess he'll tell us when he's ready," Lizzie smiled at Sirius, "and my birthday really isn't a big deal,"

"Of course, it is!"

"No, I'd rather we get to have more fun on your birthday tomorrow,"

"You deserve the fun," Sirius gave her a fist bump just like he had shown him two days ago.

"It's just never been an extravagant thing," she shrugged.

"Because of your mom?" Sirius paused to see if Lizzie would confirm or deny what he said, but she said nothing, "Well forget her!"

"Yeah, you guys are a much better family," she smiled at Sirius. Lizzie took a seat at the table sandwiched between James and Sirius who were by far the most excited for her birthday. Even more so than Lizzie was.

"Look! Mail's coming!" James saw his family's owl coming towards their spot, "it's addressed to you," he said when the owl had finally dropped the mail.

"What?" Lizzie took the card and saw that James' parents had sent her a birthday card. They had done that for Peter too, "oh,"

Happy Birthday, Liz!

James has told us so much about you, and we just want to tell you how proud we are of you! We know you have never met us, and it must be weird to hear us say that we are proud. We are though! You left home, which is so far away and now you're thriving there! I bet your parents are so proud as well. We hope that we will see you at Christmas!

Love,

The Potters

"I didn't know you told your parents so much about all of us,"