Chapter 1 - New School

(3rd Person pov)

14 year old Luz stood at the bus stop. "Ok. First day at a new school and first day of high school. You need to make a great first impression," she said to herself. We waited impatiently for the bus to arrive while a small breeze blew. When it finally arrived, it was mostly full of kids. She walked aboard and looked down the aisle.

She noticed that there were many full seats and few had only one person in them. She walked up to the closest seat that had one person and took her seat. She put her backpack on her lap and pulled her phone out as the bus set off to the next stop. She put an ear bud in and started to play some music.

"Whatcha listening to?" asked the girl next to her. Luz looked over to her right. The girl looked to be a Senior. She had blond hair with a pink line going through her hair, which was in a ponytail, blue eyes, and was wearing a cheerleading uniform. A cheerleader, she thought, I'm in for it.

"I'm listening to the Beatles," she said quietly enough for the cheerleader to hear. The cheerleader laughed. "You mean that old, outdated band? Girl, you gotta get into today's music. Here let me show you." She snatched the phone from Luz's hands and fiddled with her music and some other band began to play. The girl had put on a loud, inappropriate rap song. Luz snatched her phone back, put back on her music, and threw her phone back in her pocket. "Dick," said the cheerleader and began to take pictures of herself.

Luz already hated the bus before. She didn't like how crowded it was, how noisy it can be at times, and how rude the other students could be, but this bus was worse. She already had trouble finding a seat. But now she had to deal with a popular cheerleader.

The bus then arrived at the school. It pulled into the bus lane behind another bus. The bus doors opened and people began to exit it. Luz stood up and walked off with one earbud still in her ear and walked to her first class, but first she had to figure out what her first period was.

She looked at her schedule. First period is in the English hall. She then looked up at the school map. And it's on the other side of the building. And it's up stairs too! She sighed and began walking up the stairs. She walked through the crowded hallways passing many other students. Some of them turned and looked at her as she passed.

They would say, "Nice jacket, nerd!" or "Listen to something that isn't from the sixties." and everytime said one of those insults, she felt more and more unappreciated and alone.

She finally made it to her class. Finally, freshmen. The one group of people I'm mostly familiar with. She meant it. In middle school, she knew many kids who were going to Hexide, but she hadn't seen most of them since the end of last year's school year. She sat in a seat, which was close to the door of the classroom. She waited for the rest of the students to arrive so class could start.

When the last kid walked in and took their seat, class began. It was like a normal first day of school, student introductions, going over what was going on in the first quarter, and socializing with other students. Luz didn't do much talking during class, she did talk to some kids who she knew in eighth grade, but that was about all.

When the bell sounded, she walked to her next period. She thought walking through the hallways again would be worse than before, but no one said a thing to her. They were too busy talking to each other. Luz walked happily into her second period class.

She walked into her class and took her seat. She looked around at all of the students. They look to be older than me. Probably in higher grades than me. Her second period was a study hall, most kids in the higher grade only have one of these so they can socialize or get work done early.