7. The "Journey"

* RING, RING *

I opened my eyes as I yawned. I was nervously shaking.

-       Today is the day. – I said, as I sighed.

It was 3 am, the time for me to leave. I got up and as I got dressed, I heard a soft knock on my door.

-       Come in! – I said, loud enough for the person on the other side to hear me.

-       I wanted to know if you were already awake. – I recognized my mom’s voice.

-       Yes, mom.

-       I didn’t want you to be late to the airport. – She explained.

-       I won’t be. – I said, smiling.

My flight to Ibiza was leaving at 4 am. I had everything ready: suitcases, passport, papers, just everything. When I was ready, I went outside with everything I needed. I shut my bedroom door as I took a deep breath. I walked downstairs, and the whole family was in the kitchen table. It wasn’t time for breakfast, of course, but I was leaving, and we agreed we’d have breakfast together as we always did. As we ate, we told jokes as we always did, we laughed and talked, as we always did. I had to admit I was going to miss this quality time with them so much.

I had not left my plate in the sink when I heard the horn. My whole family turned at me. I sighed.

-       It’s time. – I said.

Mom opened her eyes widely.

-       I’ll help you with your luggage. – Dad said, as he grabbed my suitcases and walked to Paige’s van, which was waiting for me outside.

I walked out, with mom, Maddie and Josh walking beside me. Paige was there, driving, and Jesse was in the co-pilot seat. They both waved at me and smiled, I waved back, smiling too. Dad was getting the suitcases in the trunk. I took a deep breath as I turned back to my family.

-       I will be back soon. – I explained, shrugging.

Mom shook her head.

-       It’s okay, sweetie. – She said, as she approached me and kissed my forehead.

I raised my eyebrow. I turned to Maddie and smiled at her.

-       Goodbye, Mad-dog. See you soon! – I said, as I hugged her.

-       Goodbye, Chloe-boo. – She said, as she faked a smile and hugged me back. – I will miss you.

My heart stopped.

-       It won’t be long. – I explained, muttering. Then, I approached Josh. – Bye little man. – I said.

He smiled and waved goodbye at me. I hugged him and he hugged me back. Then, I felt a hand on my shoulder. When I turned, it was dad. I hugged him really tight.

-       Goodbye, sweetie. – He whispered in my ear.

-       Bye, dad. – I answered, hugging him.

When I let go of him, I noticed they all had an expressionless face. I sighed and approached the car. I got in, rolled the windows down, and took a glimpse at my family one more time. I waved at them and they waved back.

-       Ready? – Paige asked.

-       Uh-huh. – I responded, not making any eye contact. – Whenever you’re ready, Paige.

-       I’ve been ready since I was born! – She exclaimed.

Jesse and I laughed. She accelerated, and started driving to the airport.

-       So, how do you feel? – Jesse asked.

-       I’m okay. – I answered, nodding my head.

-       I knew this was a hard choice for you… – Jesse started to say.

-       Oh, I haven’t made a choice.

-       What? – Jesse and Paige exclaimed in unison.

-       What the hell are you talking about? – Paige asked, not moving her sight from the road.

I shrugged and sighed.

-       Paige, we’ll talk about this later, I really don’t want to touch on this right now. – I said, looking down.

Paige didn’t answer. Jesse looked back at me and immediately returned her glance to the front. I looked out the window.

-       Um… – Jesse tried to break the ice. – Aren’t you guys hungry?

-       I had breakfast. – I answered, dryly, still staring out the window.

-       No. – Paige answered, in the same manner.

-       All right, then. – Jesse said, bowlegged, incorporating herself in the seat. – I’ll eat by myself at the airport, I guess.

Paige and I couldn’t help but let out a quiet giggle.

-       I’m sorry! – We both exclaimed in unison.

-       You’re right, I shouldn’t have touched the subject. – Paige apologized.

-       No, you are right… I’m an idiot. – I didn’t even know what to say.

-       Let’s just not worry. – Jesse said. – Let’s eat some cinnamon rolls at the airport and forget all about this, okay?

-       Okay, bottomless pit! – Paige exclaimed.

The three of us laughed. I was happy these girls were coming with me to Ibiza, I couldn’t have chosen better partners.