Freak Show

Luna's POV

We've all calmed down a bit after the freak 'Guardian' scare, and we're sat back down, wondering what on earth that even was. I'm sitting next to Lele, fiddling with the beads on her dress as they talk.

"What the hell was that noise?"
"Guys, something's coming for us."

As if things couldn't get any worse, now we're actually being hunted. But, hopefully when we find the last artefact, we can go home. At least, that's what's supposed to happen.

"Something or someone?"
"That was definitely something." I reply.
"Yeah that was something."
"A 'someone' does not sound like that."
"I don't think an animal is doing all this to us."
Fair point - but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for an animal-like monster, considering the night we've had so far.

"Guys don't forget, Glozelle is dead."
"-Another girl, you guys. Three girls have died."

That makes me a little nervous, honestly.

"Yeah!"
"I think that's a little sketchy."
"Why is that sketchy?" Really Joey?
"It doesn't make sense to me that three girls in a row have died."
"But don't forget, Shane died, he's a guy."

At this point I chime in. "Yes, but Shane wasn't voted. In every vote so far the person who's ended up dead was a girl!"
"Yeah, Shane was poisoned, okay, we're literally voting for girls."
"Maybe the evil spirit hates girls for some reason." Oh great, that's very comforting Tim.
"There's a lady killer on the loose! I think us girls have to stick together, that's all I'm saying." Sierra exclaims.
"Yeah! We do." Lele grabs my hand and pulls me closer to her in... solidarity I guess? I'm not really sure, but I'm all for girls protecting girls.

"Can I be a part of that since I'm like, bi?" I chuckle at Joey's comment. He looks at me and smiles.

"We can talk about this all we want, but we need to figure out what we're going to do." Trust Oli to put us back on track - all this arguing and pointing fingers achieves nothing. We all agree and refocus.
"We have three artifacts guys. We are one more away from getting back to 2016."
"That's right." I say.
"Lele and Joey, when you were upstairs was there anything else that you had, is there any clues, or anything that we can use to help?" Oli asks them.
"Yeah." Joey pulls out a small looking slip of paper.

"A 50 cents circus carnival, 'Admit One'."

Now this gets me intrigued. We're in the middle of nowhere, so where's this so called circus? I look up at Joey again.
"Is there anything on the back?" At my question he flips the ticket round.
"Yes! 'Round and round the room we go'."
"What if there's like a carnival ride?"
"A merry-go-round."
"Yeah."
"What goes round and round in this room?"

We look for things in the room that go round and round, like the record player and the old fashioned telephone, but we don't find anything. Maybe we just have to generally search 'round and round' the room?
Me and Joey look around the room together looking for some sort of clue. I think about maybe talking to him about...us, y'know, and our relationship, when I see something tucked under a table lamp.

"Joey, look, under the lamp. Is that a note?" Joey lifts the lamp and takes out a large card from underneath.
"Yes, nice find Lu!" He pulls me into his side, "This is why I love you."
I almost don't hear him say it. I look up at him in shock, trying to say something but I don't get the chance.
"Guys we got it!" Joey yells.
"Is that it?"
"Was it under the lamp?"
I take the card from Joey and read it to the group:

"The carnival is coming to town. Follow your nose to the show."

So we have to follow a smell? We start paying attention to what we can smell. I sniff around a bit.
"Wait, smell?"
"It smells like orange."
"I don't like it, it smells weird." I say, kind of covering my nose with my sleeve. "Sorry guys, I don't think I can help you with this one."
They dismiss my apology, saying they don't mind as they sniff around the room. Joey takes my free hand and pulls me around as everyone sniffs out each room.