Chapter Thirty-One: What Are You Waiting For?

A hundred red caps are nothing in the face of Wren's wrath. It's a bloodbath.

The first red cap falls to an icy spear impaling her gut. One jumps at Wren. He grabs her neck and shatters it like glass, only what falls is a river of red. Even in the face of Wren's frightening power, the red caps fight. They shoot arrows that waver in the whistling winds, hitting other red caps rather than their target. Swords, axes, and spears slash through blocks of ice rising from the ground, crushing the homes and all those within. They're stained red, blood leaking into the mud until it's crimson.

Little time passes, hardly a blink. They're all dead. Corpses litter the ground broken apart by blocks and spears of ice. The very air Artemis breathes chills his lungs until they ache. His breaths come out in puffs of white, erratic from his racing heart.

Wren took barely ten steps away to finish the job. Pivoting on his heel, he gazes upon Artemis quietly, then steps closer. It must be the way Artemis looks at him because Wren scowls.

"Frightened of me even after assisting you?" the prince asks, voice as chilled as the bristling air surrounding them. "Nothing I do makes you happy, does it?"

He turns to walk away.

"Wait!" Artemis calls, attempting to rise. His body screams in retaliation, sending him to the ground. A whimper passes his lips, one that makes Wren stop.

"Wait," he repeats, struggling to stand.

"If you tried once and it didn't work, a second time will not change the outcome," Wren lectures.

"You'll leave if I don't," he argues, managing to kneel. Blood pours from the wound in his thigh.

Wren lurches forward, kneeling in front of him. He presses a cool hand against the wound. It soothes the damage in an instant, somehow boiling hot and freezing cold at once.

"I'm sorry," Artemis gasps, leaning forward to rest his head on Wren's chest. He smells like cool rain on a winter morning. "Please, don't go. I've... I've been looking everywhere. I couldn't find you. Where did you go?"

"Are you perhaps delirious from blood loss?" Wren inquires, shuffling in order to carefully lift Artemis.

Wren looks as pained as Artemis sounds when he groans, "I'm not... delirious."

"You sound like one who has drunk too much and refuses to admit he has."

Artemis smirks. "Do you speak from experience?"

Wren doesn't taunt, which speaks volumes.

"I'm sorry," Artemis repeats.

"You already said that."

"Are you going to leave?" Artemis asks, resting his head on Wren's shoulder. The world's fading, spotted black. Only Wren is as clear as a cloudless sky. He thinks they're walking through the trees or maybe the forest is alive in the face of it's prince.

"How could I leave my knight in such a dire state? I will take you home--"

"And stay with me?"

Wren hesitates, gripping Artemis tighter. "And stay with you."

"Promise?" Artemis whispers as Wren fades from view.

"...I promise."

Then the world goes black.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:✧*⋆.*:・゚✧.: ⋆*・゚: .⋆ ☾

Artemis wakes when he feels the comfort of his warm bed. A weight leans over him. Thin fingers unbuckle his belt. He breathes heavier, fear clouding his mind until Wren's comforting voice whispers, "You must undress so we can tend to your wounds."