7| You All Along Pt. 1

It's funny how life works, I think

It's funny how life works, I think. Everything seems so predictable and constant until it's not. Whoever thought to compare life to a rollercoaster was insanely accurate because it really can have unexpected twists and turns thrown your way. And I guess that makes living all so interesting- you'll never know what's in store for you as you venture into the future.

For example, what are the odds of a professor and one of her young students being pregnant at the same time and going to baby classes together? Or those babies, being only a month apart, growing up together and becoming the best of friends? And best friends developing feelings for each other as they grow older and get married in the later years of their adulthood? Those odds are less than common but they can definitely happen to anyone of us.

I should know because it happened to me, exactly as I said earlier. My mother was a prominent math professor and a newlywed when she found out she was pregnant with me. At the same time, one of her students and favorite pupils had wounded up with the same news but with no one by her side to help her get through the next couple of months. And so, my mother and father decided to be that for her, a support system that she could rely on. They took baby classes together, offered her a place to stay within their home, and became very much like family.

God bless my poor father for having to deal with two pregnant women under the same roof.

And after a long and trying nine months, two beautiful babies were born into the world. Kim Jongin was the first of us to be born- something he never let me forget if I ever remotely challenged him on anything. A beautifully tanned, black haired Capricorn that hardly ever stayed awake had brought joy into the house. My mother still fawns over his baby pictures just as much as she does with mine and, obviously, helped with him until I arrived a month later. They both recalled me being just as beautiful as Jongin had been but a huge cry baby. The only time I didn't cry was when I was asleep or when I was placed beside non other than Jongin.

It's safe to say that we've been inseparable ever since. From diapers into puberty, we were as thick as thieves. Even when Jongin's mother reconnected with his father after staying with us for a year and a half, they were always welcomed over my house. Luckily, they bought a house next door after getting married so Jongin and I saw each other all the time besides school and family dinners on Wednesdays. Those were my favorite days, getting to spend the whole day with him and doing homework together after school. Then we'd go straight to dinner and enjoy the evening with both our parents together.

Even as we slowly grew older and made new friends like Lisa and Lucas, Jongin was without a doubt my bestest friend. He was in my happiest moments as well as my saddest moments just as I was in both for him. Whenever his parents fought, he would throw a rock at my window and ask to sleepover with me. Of course I'd say yes. Just as he'd let me sleep next to him as a baby, I offered him a spot next to me in my bed where we'd sleep contently. Eventually, his parents divorced and even though he took it hard, I was there for him. At the same time, my own father was fighting a battle of his own and lost to cancer a year later. My heart was so broken at the time but Jongin held my hand and lended his shoulder for me to cry one whenever I needed to.