Chapter 26

Skyarlette’s P.O.V

When Bre cut herself off, the whole room went silent. I for one could sense trouble about to come, but when you throw Ania and Bre into the mix, it’s like Dennis the Menace has made an appearance. Eyeing Bre, I took a step towards her as she shifted uncomfortably under my scrutinizing gaze. I know how hard it is to make Ania crack, but it doesn’t take much to get Bre to spill; and I plan on using that trait to my advantage.

“What in the world do you guys have planned?” I asked as I cocked my head to the side while raising a brow.

“Oh nothing, just some activities to keep ourselves busy while we’re here,” She replied with an attempt at a nonchalant shrug of her shoulders.

“Really now? So normal people act the way you guys are when planning for a few measly activities? More like plotting to take over the world if you ask me,” I scoffed as I voiced my opinion.

“You got us there, we were set-” Bre started as her shoulders slumped in defeat but Ania jumped in by cutting her off mid word.

Setting up an excited mood. If you’re suspicious, then you’ll be very surprised for what we have in plan; wont she?” Ania asked while locking her gaze on Bre before landing it on Ryan.

“Sure,” He agreed. He probably learnt that it’s better to go along with Ania rather than try and fight her.

“I’ll be the judge on whether it’s worth all this snooping around,” I declared as I left their tent to tend to my business.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Oh...sweet....Lord.....help me!” I whined as my calves burned. After a while of moping around, Chaz had suggested that we check out the area a bit by going uphill hiking. Little did I know that it turned out to be a how-ever-long cardiovascular workout. Not to mention the pain that increased in my lower legs with every step.

They just laughed at me as I continued to trudge behind them; Chaz leading the pack and Justin bringing up the rear. To say this was torture would be putting it in all vagueness. I would describe this walk as a much-too-extended visit to hell.

“We’re almost there Skyar, quit your whining,” He laughed as he looked back at me.

I gave him a glare and huffed, but still continued on with assaulting my legs. Even though the pain was pretty blinding, it didn’t take away from the serenity that the wild held. You could hear frogs croaking, birds chirping happily and rustles in the branches as animals played with each other; jumping from branch to branch. It was a pretty peaceful setting and I would have been able to appreciate it more, given if I was in a different situation. When I thought that my legs could take me no further, Chaz stopped and turned towards us and said,

“Come and see.”

I ventured beside him to have a look at what he saw and when my eyes caught sight of it, my breathing hitched in my throat.

Down below, was a valley of trees with the greenest of leaves that basked in the multicoloured rays of the setting sun. The view was breath taking and could have qualified to be one of those pictures that you saw on postcards. Purples, oranges, and pink danced above the trees and brought out the beauty of the sight beneath us. The chirping had slowly ceased, yet they were still birds flying around. As I continued to gaze around, I felt Chaz’s presence disappear, to have it later replaced by Justin.

His arm slid around my waist and pulled me close; his posture ready if I decided to pull back. Instead, I wrapped an arm around his mid section before laying my head on his chest to watch the lights disappear behind the trees. Soon, Kayden came and stood close to me; probably feeling a bit left out, I’m guessing. I took my free hand and placed it in his before giving it a squeeze and shooting him a warm smile to which I got one back. There was a serene silence that settled around all of us that no one dared to break.