Chapter 11: Betting on the Future

Walking into the store, any person would faint at all of the luster surrounding them.

There were many different types of armor on display, some made of metal and some made of cloth. There were different weapons of varying vibrancy as well as glass cases filled with accessories. A pristine and well-taken care of room, where no dust could be found. There was a curtain that covered the entranceway to the next room and multiple employees on standby, all standing up straight and proper.

However, despite all this, Hiiro could only imagine how much everything cost. A strange chill developed across his body, as if he was splashed with cold water. He was, and always will be, a person who appreciates the cheap things in life.

As they stood in front of the store, he watched as a salesperson approached his companion with the gusto of an S-Rank retail worker.

Hiiro could tell that this was a place Deus frequented.

"Welcome to Fleurine! What could we do for you today?"

"Nothing for me. He needs some equipment. Up top."

Gesturing to Hiiro, the latter froze as he could feel the salesperson eyeing him, up and down. Gulping, he could feel an air of judgement from them. They knew for a fact that he was as broke as he had looked.

'Lady! Give me a break! I don't want to be here either!!'

However, they only kept their business smile throughout the whole experience.

"Yes, sir. Right this way."

As the two were led away by the salesperson, they approached deeper and higher into the store. With each room and floor, the strength and utility of each equipment increased, as did the price. With each step, Hiiro felt as though his soul was leaving his body.

Deus looked to his side, and could see the strange faces Hiiro was making. He couldn't help but laugh a little, but quickly recovered before anyone had noticed.

Finally stopping on the top floor, Hiiro came to only one conclusion.

'WHY DON'T THEY HAVE AN ELEVATOR?!! THIS PLACE IS TOO BIG NOT TO HAVE ONE! ARE THEY TRYING TO FLEX?! IS THAT IT?! FLEXING ON A BROKE COLLEGE KID?!'

He didn't even think that this store was this big! Looking at the already huge exterior, the inside was somehow even bigger! How much money do they have to waste that they can even enchant spatial magic on the store?!

As these thoughts spiraled in his head, he could feel his erratic breathing, as the two in front of him were perfectly fine.

'Deus is one thing, but et tu, salesperson?! Is the qualifications needed to work at this store monstrous glutes?! Is that it?!'

Although the salesperson's face didn't change from their business-like smile, he could feel the pitiful and disappointed look from their eyes. On the other hand, he could only feel Deus's frighteningly chilling glare.

"I'm increasing your training when we get back. And, I'll be personally supervising it from now on."

Gulping, Hiiro could feel a shiver down his spine, as he realized that he can't weasel out of training like he had hoped for.

The salesperson, who could feel the tension between the two, cleared their throat, getting the attention of them. Putting on a cheery and reserved expression, she showcased the different equipment on display.

"Here is the top floor, reserved for our vip clients. Could I please take your guild card to scan for a membership pass?"

"Eh? Guild card?"

"Yes. Our store is split into three sections and the majority consumer base are Closers. The lower floors are available for anyone, even an average civilian could buy a product, whether for safety or convenience. The middle floors are for more advanced members who are active and high ranking Closers. There may also be some business men or other conglomerates who purchase from our establishment. The top floors are then reserved for the best of the best. Whether it be in financial or physical power, the tops floors contain our most prized equipment and are sold to our most prized clients."

Seeing as Hiiro was a first time customer, she began to explain the store to him, so he could understand for the future. He had never really paid attention to equipment stores, because the Hiiro in the book only used weapons he had found in rifts. Due to this, he listened intently, becoming more curious about these new aspects he had not known.

"However, even on the top floors, our highest room is different from the rest. This room is only available for vip members with a black membership card. The equipment and magical artifacts here are handcrafted by our CEO. You most likely already know of her. The prices here also range from extremely low to our most expensive items. Due to this, the only way to get a black card is being recognized as an S-rank Closer by the government. It could be from the official document or your guild card, that should include your rank on it."

Seeing all the formalities involved, Hiiro felt the gap between this world and his. Intimidated, he shrunk back and put on a unconvincing smile, elbowing Deus.

"Well, that's too bad haha... since I'm not registered, we should really head back now, huh?"

Deus could see the plea for help from Hiiro, and he remained his cold exterior. The Hiiro of the future will be someone that stands at the forefront of the whole world. All eyes would be on him, and something as small as this store shouldn't intimidate him so.

Pushing him forward, he looked over at the salesperson.

"Sir, if he isn't registered then..."

"I can vouch for him. Let him in."

Hiiro's eyes widened at him.

Didn't he just hear about how high spec this place was?! There's no way they would let him in, without any identification!

However, what Hiiro didn't realize was how powerful Deus really was, not just physically.

Armies could move at just a word from him, and there wasn't anybody that wouldn't want to get on his good side.

The salesperson nodded her head and remained with her business smile as she guided the two in.

"Welcome, valuable customers. This way please."

Hiiro became flabbergasted at how easily it seemed for her to let them in, after going on such a long explanation of the rules.

Was this what being in power really meant?! Corruption?! Was this corruption?!

'I can't be alive I just experienced real corruption...'

However, little did he know that it wasn't just Deus's position that granted him access. Although they valued his patronage, their store's rules still mattered most, as they were a prestigious establishment.

There is a secret rule that the CEO created that no one knows about.

"If you see someone of potential, let them up to the top."

Every employee of Fleurine was told this before they started working. High-skilled individuals, not only were they capable on fighting, they were hired because of their keen sense of people.

The salesperson may not have been able to pinpoint whether Hiiro was indeed strong. However, he was recommended by someone on Deus's level, who is known for his pragmatic mindset. He wasn't one to be bought, so the person he brought in must really have potential.

With her trained gut and instincts telling her that this innocuous man could become someone of high repute in the future, she gladly would take the risk. As she had her back turned towards them, her business-like smile turned to one more shrewd and cunning.

Betting on the futures of potential stars was truly her favorite part of her job.