The Start of Something New

Here it is: the start of a new story. Right where a well-known beloved one ended. Not going to be like anything you read before.

Enjoy! :)

-----------------------------------

Race gets into the carriage as fast as he can. He makes it, and ends up on the floor.

Spot can't stop laughing.

"What's so funny?" Race grumbles, trying to catch his breath.

"I just wasn't expecting any of that," Spot tells him with a grin. "You know, you could have just asked to come in the carriage to go back to Brooklyn with me."

Finally, Race pulls himself up and situates him on a seat like a normal person. He glares at Spot. "Couldn't take that chance."

"Guess we'll never know," Spot teases, just as light hearted as before.

Race cracks a smile too and lets himself laugh along with Spot. The reason why he got on the carriage in the first place wasn't to be in a grumbling mood. Light hearted feels much better.

He turns around and looks at what he's leaving behind. Not forever--just as long as this carriage ride will last.

He sees all the newsies, still celebrating after having won the strike not even an hour ago.

"I can't believe Jack was actually considering leaving," Race comments.

"Yeah, me too," Spot agrees. "But I knew he couldn't leave his Walking Mouth."

"Yeah," Race chuckles. "There was no way."

He grins as he watches the newsies dance through the street. They deserve to be happy. They all do.

Race still has the moment where Jack shouted WE BEAT 'EM! engrained in his mind.

The whole day has given him euphoria. From finding out that Jack wasn't a scab, to passing out their newspaper to all the kids on the streets, to gathering in front of The World, and winning. And now he's here, with Spot, inside Teddy Roosevelt's carriage. So yeah, he would say that today is going really well.

Race looks back at Spot and grins. He's so glad that he joined the strike. A lot of this wouldn't have happened if Spot hadn't. Then maybe they wouldn't be here right now.

Maybe Race's heart wouldn't be so fluttery when he looks at Spot's smiling face.

Spot smiles even more when he catches Race staring at him. "What are you looking at?"

Race blushes. "I, uh..."

Words are failing him.

So he shrugs.

I know how to make a point in my argument, don't I?

Stop it.

Going back and forth with yourself isn't helping anything.

Yet you're still going.

He shakes his head to try to clear it. Yes, he is aware that all the 'voices' in his head are his 'voices', but that doesn't make them less annoying.

Especially when none of them are trying to help him figure out what to say.

So he says what else has been on his mind. "I'm glad that things are going to be back to normal now."

"Yeah, me too," Spot agrees.

"It's been a strange week."

"Oh, definitely."