New Day

tw// f slur/homophobia 

"One or two."

Tommy looked down at the pink and blue blocks.

"Which one is yours?"

Tommy looked up at the blurry face. Blurry, hazy...who are you?

"Choose."

Tommy looked at the blue block. Instinctively he reached for it. Pain and fire went through his hand. He looked at it, confused. It was red. It was hurting.

"No. The pink one is yours."

The pink one is mine...the pink one is mine...why can't I have the blue one?

Tommy woke up with a gasp. He gripped the white sheets, sweat beads sitting on his forehead.

"Tommy."

He looked up at Wilbur poking his head through the doorway. "Get ready. It's your first day of school!"

Tommy groaned. He shooed his brother away and picked out his outfit. A red and white baseball tee shirt and tan cargo pants. His favorite outfit. Reluctantly he opened the dresser drawer and pulled out a red beanie. With a sigh, he put it on and tucked his hair in.

Tommy sighed and looked at himself in the mirror. "New school. New bullies."

He grabbed his backpack and headed towards Wilbur's car, hopping inside and being zoomed off to school.

During the car ride all Tommy could do was scratch his hand. Wilbur eyed him and knew he did that when he was nervous.

"Hey," Wilbur said.

Tommy looked at Wilbur.

"You'll be ok." Wilbur reassured.

Tommy nodded with a smile. They arrived at the school and Tommy hopped out of the car. Wilbur leaned forwards so he could see Tommy walking away.

"If anyone hurts my boy," Wilbur whispered to himself, "I'll kill them."

———

Tommy arrived in his first period, which took him a while to find. He sat down in the middle on the left side, he found that was the best spot to most likely not be bullied.

He eyed the other kids and wondered if he could make any friends this year. Yeah right, Tommy thought. When did you ever have friends? Tommy saw a brunette boy approaching him. He put his head down and pleaded for him not to talk to him.

The brunette walked past him and sat behind him, dark brown hair swaying with his movements.

Tommy sighed in relief. Suddenly he flinched as he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned around to see the brunette smiling at him. He had brown eyes to match with his fluffy hair and was wearing an oversized green collared shirt. 

"Hi," he said, "I'm Toby. But you can call me Tubbo."

Tommy stuttered for a moment. "I'm..." Tommy had his usual internal debate. "I'm...Tommy. You can call me Tommy."

Tubbo smiled. "Cool! Wanna be friends? I know it's hard to make friends at school when you're new, trust me I've been through that."

Tommy was baffled. Friends? Tommy thought. Already? He nodded. "Sure."

Tubbo nodded. He pulled out his phone and leaned towards him. "Let's exchange numbers, or Discord if you use that."

Tommy went along with Tubbo and pulled out his phone. He and Tubbo exchanged information and soon had to turn back around to face the teacher.