eight

A/N Another short chapter. It was between breaking it up or posting a 6000 word chapter. I decided to split it as I wasn't fully happy with the end of it and this was the best place to split it. I figured you guys would be happy with something short instead of nothing.

Saturday arrived and with it for some reason came nerves for Rory. She wasn't sure why, she had attended similar events over the years and they had all been fine, not exactly enjoyable but not awful. She couldn't understand why Colin's presence was making her anxious when really it should relax her that for once she was going with someone entirely of her own choice and not a society set up. Or maybe it was because everyone was going to assume he was her boyfriend and she didn't want to set the record straight. Nah Rory shook her head, she couldn't think like that. Her thoughts were interrupted by a shout.

"RORY!"

"Yes Mom?"

"Come on and I will do your hair."

"Okay I'm coming." Rory said walking up the stairs to her mom's room and taking a seat at the vanity. "Ready!"

"Okay so what am I doing?" Lorelai asked as she started to play with Rory's hair.

"I am wearing the emerald green dress."

"Okay that has a low back so how about we leave your hair down and curl the ends to give it some body?"

"If that's what you think, then sure."

"So Colin?"

"Yes Mom?"

"What's he like?"

"In a lot of ways he is like the usual society boy, and you know what they are like, they haven't changed that much since you were my age. But at the same time, he is really smart, kind and thoughtful. He always makes sure I have coffee for the first lecture of the day, and he always saves me from guys harassing me at the bar. He can hold his own against Paris in a debate."

"You like him."

"Of course I like him, he is one of my best friends."

"No, I mean you like him, like him."

"No I don't!"

"I think the lady doth protest too much."

"MOM!" Rory sighs, as she looks at her mother working on her hair in the mirror. "Even if I did like him, he is my partner in a few classes, what if I told him I liked him and he doesn't feel the same? It would be so awkward to work together for the rest of the year. Nevermind the fact we all socialise together."

"Rory, can I ask you a question?" Lorelai asked, looking thoughtfully at Rory while tonging her hair.

"What?"

"On any of your nights out, has Colin picked up a girl or even tried to?"

Rory sat there and thought about it, going over all their nights out in her head.

"No he always stays with us, Tristan is the one who always splits off and finds a girl."

"Does Tristan ever get Colin to act as his wingman?"

"No, he never has, I just assumed Tristan liked to work alone."

"Maybe, I'm just saying, think about it, your feelings might not be as one-sided as you think. There you go, do you need any help with your dress?" Lorelai said, with a final fluff of Rory's hair.

"No, I think I should be okay, I'll shout if I have any problems with the zip." Rory said, standing up to go downstairs to finish her makeup and put her dress on.