Chapter 1 - Noah

September 11th

The sun is shining onto my face, the light waking me up. I roll over, hiding my face. I hear laughter outside. Children playing. I sit up, rubbing my tired eyes. What time is it? I check my phone on the nightstand beside my single bed. 11 am. At least I finally got a good night's sleep. Training has been very much tiering. It's not easy to be one of the few here with an ability. This little town of nobody. A nobody town. God, I look forward to leaving this place.

I stand up on the carpet on my floor. It's a peculiar thing. Sometimes it's fuzzy, sometimes it's pointy. I guess it depends on my mood. I put on some clothes and walk down the hall to the stairs. At the bottom of the stairs lay the living room. It's kind of the base of the house. This building is made to be strange; I've never quite understood it. There are many doors leading into several other rooms. On the other side of a door is a staircase, leading upwards. From outside, the house looks like an upside-down pyramid, if the tip wasn't pointy.

I walk through the first door to the right. The kitchen. There is milk in the fridge and cereal in the cupboards. I find a bowl and sit down by the big dining table. Sixteen chairs, seven at each side, and one at each end. I eat the cereal fast; I shouldn't have slept so long. My abilities supervisor is going to be furious. Well, well. I guess he's always mad about something. When I finish, I put the bowl in the sink and walk back into the living room and out the front door made of mahogany. It isn't far to the classroom, only a few miles. I switch between running and jogging, since I'm not allowed to use my abilities in public, I would be put in jail if I did. There's still a mile left when I see him. I see him for the first time. He walks on the other side of the street with his buddies. His hair a beautiful ginger red, his skin pale white with a few freckles. And best of all, he is the most breath-taking sight I have ever seen. His eyes so amazingly green, like emeralds almost. His cheeks cherry red, same with his lips so pink, and his adorable little button nose. I can't believe he's there; I think I see something divine, an angel! He almost is. He turns around, sees me, looks into my eyes with curiosity. I freeze.

We stare at each other for a while. He stops walking completely, same as me, eyes still connected. His friends are asking him why he's staring like that. It doesn't seem like he hears them. He is the one to take the first step. He begins to slowly walk over, luckily there's no traffic. When he comes over to my side of the road, he stops, a few feet away from me.

"Hey," he says, without hesitation.

"H-hi," I stutter. His eyes glowing in the heat, hair shining bright from the sun, and cherry lips moving. They're moving! What is he saying?

"...number?" What? I look confused at him. "Um, I said that maybe you could give me your number," he smiles.

"Why," I ask, regretting it right after. He isn't smiling anymore.

"Well, I mean, since you were looking at me like that, maybe you'd want to meet up once, for a coffee or something?" I just look at him for a few seconds before I shake my head, trying to wake up. This isn't a dream. This is real.

"Yeah, that'll be nice," I try to smile.

"Give me your phone then," he tells me. I give it to him, and he puts in his number with grace. "Here, now you can call me or text me anytime you'd want to meet up," he says. Then he starts walking back towards his friends.

Many thoughts are summing inside my head. The number, him, how I'm going to get the courage to call him and then... the exam! Oh no! I start sprinting towards the classroom, my brown hair slamming across my face. I run past trees, bushes, people, kids, rocks, and cars. The building is coming up in the horizon. Not much left, I say to my tired legs. Not much left. When I come to the front door, I see my abilities advisor. He's inside, hands on hips, with an angry expression. I walk in.