Chapter 5 - Ink

September 12th

My mom has been checked in at the local psych ward. I got the call this afternoon. I'm the person my mom listed as her contact. I haven't seen her in a couple of weeks, she's not home much. And now I don't even live at home anymore, I live with Noah. I love her, but she's got miles of baggage. It takes days of preparing to converse with her. The problem is, my dad will refuse to meet with her, so I'll have to come pick her up. Unless they believe that she needs to stay regarding her depression. She's OD'd before. Some of the times it's not been an accident. It is this time though, according to her anyways.

I find Noah in my contacts. He doesn't answer. Probably asleep. It has been a long day. After our excursion to the park, I asked him to go home while I went to Milly's. I just needed some time alone. What I didn't think about is that I'm now sitting here without a car or license. Noah home is just barely walking distance. At this time of day, it's not even close to an acceptable stretch. I don't want to go home in the dark. Too many people use the shadows cast upon the city during nighttime to follow through with grotesque desires. I try Noah again, not believing that it will work. It doesn't. I sigh and gather my things. Guess I'll just have to face my fears.

The bell dings above the door when I leave the café. Holy shit, it's dark. Only a few lampposts are illuminating the inky pavement. The atmosphere is giving me the creeps, a ghastly shiver down my spine. I take a deep breath before I get going. I've only walked this way once before, the first time I visited Noah. I pull up my phone. The GPS says that it is only a fifteen minute walk. I hurry up, wanting to shorten that time as much as possible.

After about five minutes, I see someone on the other side of the street. He's got his hands in his pockets. The leather jacket he's wearing looks used and torn, probably hasn't been replaced in ages. I look away quickly, hoping he didn't meet my gaze. I hear steps coming over to this side of the street.

"Hey there," I hear from behind. I stop breathing, but my heart keeps on racing. No, oh no.

Noah opens the door all groggy and messy. He's wearing the same clothes he wore to my house. Did he sleep in them? I see his face change drastically from loving, sleepy joy to horrid, panicked dread.

"What happened to your face?" He asks in a higher pitch than usual. I walk inside, guided by his arms, and sit down on the couch. He wipes away blood from my cheeks, now red from a cause entirely different from the normal one.

"I'll get some band-aids and a liquid to sterilize it with. Oh, and a wet cloth!" He is already gone into the bathroom before he finishes his list of items. I'm cold, but not wrapping the blanket around me. I don't want to get blood on his things. I see that my shoulder is bleeding too. I hastily remove my shirt. The gash isn't big, just the width of my fingertip.

Noah returns with his arms full of medical equipment. He's really got it all, doesn't he? I shift my head towards him on his command and flinch when he cleans my injuries with the sterilized cotton pad.

"Stay still," he says firmly while gripping my chin. I smile and try to sit like a statue while he pushes the flaming cotton against my aching wounds. He pats my head.

"All done," he smiles, cupping my cheek. I look at my shoulder.

"Not quite," I chuckle. "You missed a spot."

"Agh!" He says, trying to be funny with his frustrated face. I shift my body, angling my shoulder towards him. He starts the process again. When he's finished, he puts a band-aid on all my injuries.

"I don't need a band-aid on my face, it looks funny!" I joke, nudging him with my fist. He pushes back, hitting my shoulder.

"Ow," I say weakly, hoping he didn't hear me. He suddenly grabs my face, putting our lips only a lean away. I stroke his arm, reassuring him.