Chapter 1

“What the-” I started, sitting up in my bed, pushing back the sheets that had stuck to the cold sweat covering my body. In my dream I could’ve sworn someone was watching me, hiding in the shadows, yet every time I looked, there was nothing but a quick movement of something white.

I wiped a hand across my forehead, breathing harshly as I looked around the room for a sense of comfort. That feeling quickly fled, replaced by a growing dread when I noticed the outline of a figure in the corner of my room by the window. I stilled, refusing to take my eyes off him for fear he might move, and though it was a foolish notion, my breathing slowed so that the sound could no longer be heard in the quiet night. The figure was male, as far as I could tell, with golden blonde hair and eyes bluer than the sky. Despite the storm outside, his completely white outfit was dry, meaning he must have been there for a while. My heart hammering in my chest,, I tried to speak only to have nothing but air come out.

“Kaliel,” he said, his voice melodious and soothing as water over rocks.

“How-how do you know know my name?” I replied, making sure not reveal any signs of fear.

“I knew your mother. Now come, there is something I must tell you.” With a nod he gestured towards the window, as if expecting me to follow. He walked over to the window and climbed onto the ledge, then … he jumped.

I screamed, immediately covering my mouth so as to keep my aunt from waking up. Throwing the covers aside, I shot out of bed and rushed over to the window. The man was facing the cliffs and the waves that crashed against it. He was too far to have only just jumped out of the window.

“What do you mean you know my mother?” I shouted no longer caring if my aunt woke up. Something about him seemed familiar to me.

I rushed downstairs, wrapping my comforter around me as I opened the back door and slid outside, my toes curling into the dew covered grass.

“We were close once.” he said simply, not turning to face me.

“What do you mean close once?”

“She was my sister. And I know she would be proud of what destiny lies awaiting you.”

I nodded, my throat closing up at the thought of the mother. I haven’t seen her in ten years. A thought I may be called crazy for, I believed him. There was a sort of connection I felt between us, like an invisible chain that ratcheted me ever closer.

“Why are you here?” I questioned, walking to stand next to him in front of the cliff. Wrapping the blanket tighter around my shoulders, I watched the waves crashing against the cliff for a few minutes before I spoke again. “Why are you here? Why...now?”

“Because we need you. You’re the only one who can help,” he said gravely.

“Help with what?”

“A war,” my uncle said impassively, finally moving to face me, his blue eyes burning holes into me.

“A war?” I yelled, shocked at how I could be involved in a war that I was pretty sure didn’t exist. I backed up quickly, shaking my head at him. “I think you have the wrong person. I’m definitely not part of whatever it is you think is going on.”

“Oh, I’m not mistaken, Kaliel,” he said, still looking at me. “It is you, and you are the only hope for our salvation. Michael refuses to get involved, and without his approval, the armies will not move. You are the only one strong enough to defeat him alone.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“Are you religious, Kaliel?”

“Not strictly, why?”

“Do you believe in angels?”

“I guess? What are you-” I was cut off.

“And down below, do you believe in demons?” He was getting more intense, taking a step closer to me with each question.

“Well if I believe in angels then, yeah, of course.”

“Do you believe in the Nephilim?”

“The what?” I was beyond confused at his line of questioning.

“Nephilim. The children of an angel and a mortal. Do you believe in those?”

“I guess so? Look, I don’t know what you are doing, but-”

“What would you say if I said that is all true, and that they’re closer than you think?”

“I’d say you’re crazy!” I stepped back, shaking my head at him. My mind was racing to all the moments when I’d felt like there had been a miracle, or where I could’ve sworn a shadow was following me with every turn. I had distinct memories of both situations, and although most of me was filled with disbelief, a part of me was believing him, urging the rest of me to believe it too.

I stopped and looked up at him, meeting his blue gaze with my own green one. I felt a part of me click into place as I did so, and for once it felt as though I were fully complete, something I had never felt before. “So you’re saying…”

“Yes. It is all real.”

I nodded once before I thought of something. “How do you know?”

“That’s my world. I am Gabriel the archangel.”

“You mean you’re a-”

“An angel, yes.”

“And my mother was a-?” My head was spinning. “I need to sit down. So this means I’m what? A nephilim?”

“No. A nephilim is the product of a relationship between an angel and a mortal. You’re father is Zephan, a high ranking demon. He was cast out of Hell for his relationship with your mother, and they had you months before dying to a rogue army of demons. They left you with your aunt to take care of you. She is a healer, allowed to live on Earth because of you. But now we need you. Will you help us?”

“Help with what?” I turned to him, my mind still whirling with a mass of thoughts. Although it may sound stupid, I believed that he was telling the truth. And somehow, it felt right.

“There’s a war. Lucifer’s right hand is beginning to rebel against him, and a massive horde of demons are backing him,” Gabriel said. “Lucifer hasn’t done anything to stop him except kick him out into the mortal realm, so we have to take over the battle. Michael doesn’t believe it’s our fight, so there’s nothing a lone angel can do without getting his wings taken away. Besides, his right hand, Tamrin, is too strong for a few angels.”

“And how do you expect me to stop him? If an angel isn’t strong enough, then how am I?” I protested, my voice growing louder with each word.

“You are of two very strong bloodlines. Your father was a Duke in Hell, his bloodline dating back to almost the very beginning. And your mother was an archangel too. Her name was Lauriel, and she was never mentioned in any religious text. We made sure of that. Your mother was a strong warrior, created thousands of years ago to be a warrior and protector, yet also a woman of mercy and second chances. She saw the good in everyone. That was always her gift. Lauriel was an extraordinary woman. That’s how she met your father, after all. A good man at the core, despite his being and bloodline. Something I can’t say for most demons.”

“So what does this all mean?” I asked, followed by an subtle raise of an eyebrow.

“You inherited your mother’s strength and prowess. Your father passed down his ability to manipulate, you may even have the wings of an angel.” My uncle took a deep breath, “There has never been a being such as you before.” my uncle continued. “Tomorrow you’ll be joined by three Nephilim to guide you. It is imperative that you begin immediately. Tamrin grows stronger with each passing moment. More and more demons are enslaved into his army and we must act. They will meet you at the cemetery tomorrow night at 10:00. Be there. They have the rest of the instructions you’ll need on this journey.”

“Alright,” I mumbled, still trying to wrap my head around it. Gabriel nodded once at me before his majestic white wings unfurled behind him. He leaped into the air, flying off into the dark night over the sea.   

Good luck, Kaliel, his voice echoed throughout my mind, like nails on a chalkboard, crisp and yet so short it almost seemed imagined.