Reunited

The next thing we know Stark is in the front of a plane. Peggy is sitting across from Steve and I. 

"You're sure this thing works?" Steve asks 

"It's been tested more than you pal." Howard shouts back 

"Get us as close as you can" I say "We can do the rest." As though the enemies were listening, sudden gunfire hits the plane. Steve stands up at the same time I do. We need to go. Steve says something to Peggy before leaving the plane, I can't tell what he told her through the pounding of my heart. Quickly I give her a hug before jumping out myself. 

I touch down much further from Steve, but somehow he finds me. The two of us find a road, and almost as soon as we do trucks come down it. The whole thing feels too good to be happening. We didn't get shot out of the sky, and now here's our ride. 

Shutting the tiny warning out in my head I follow behind Steve. The two of us rolling into the back of the last truck. When we look up, we find two Hydra soldiers. 

They hesitate for half a second before Steve and I have taken them out and thrown them out the back. I almost thought I'd feel half bad. I don't. 

Once we're in we weave in and out of cars and people. Steve leads, but I don't mind. He's given me the job of having his back. I'll always have it. Finally, we come upon a guard with keys hanging from his belt. In seconds Steve has taken him down. Grabbing the keys from him. 

"Who are you supposed to be?" A man says from below. 

"...I'm Captain America." Steve says 

Vaugally I hear the man mutter something, confused. 

Once Steve and I have unlocked all of the doors and the men pour out into the hallway I ask "Do they have anyone anywhere else? We're looking for James Buchanan Barnes?"

"They do have another room, but no one ever comes back from it." One of them tells me. I begin walking, but Steve turns and tells them to get out. Telling them where we'll meet up, they ask if he knows what he's doing. No. Neither of us do. 

Instead, Steve tells them we've knocked out Adolf Hitler more than 200 times. Not having been in the spotlight at all compared to Steve the tiny lie makes me smile. I was with him there, even if I wasn't really there. 

We run through the facility as the alarms blare. Finally, we reach a hallway where a man comes out of one of the room. Frantic with the urge to get as far away from us as he can.

Steve and I get into the room, a man lays on the table. Mumbling his name and number. Bucky. 

Steve runs over, ripping the straps from his body as I touch his face. 

"Is that-" 

"It's me Bucky" I cry "It's me, it'll be ok." 

"Sarah" He breaths as Steve heaves him off the table "Steve" He asks confused and tired. 

"What happened to you?" Bucky asks 

"We joined the army silly. Do you remember?" I ask, and he smiles. 

"Just how excited you were." I smile gently at him 

"Did it hurt?" Bucky asks as the three of us pour out into the hallway again. 

Steve and I look at each other before Steve turns to him slightly "A little" He admits quickly 

"Is it permanent?" 

"So far" I laugh 

We run through the hallways until we reach a small bridge where the small man from earlier and Schmitt stand.