Chapter 15

As Rowland held her hand, she felt her heart beat faster. The feeling of sand beneath her feet made her feel like she was drowning in quicksand. She had not mentioned the discovery she had made of him and Cassandra yet she continuously played scenarios in her mind. Cassandra was not trustworthy and she knew it but she wanted to believe that she had finally changed.

The past week had been full of romantic dates by the ocean, mostly organized by his friends or Brianna's friends, and he had not done a single wrong move. Terry kept his distance and had stopped joining her late at night. She did not dare ask him because she feared his response.

The cold wind blew her hair in all directions as she shivered. Rowland turned to her and without a word, removed his sweater and gave it to her. As the warmth enveloped her freezing body, she let out a sigh of relief.

"Thanks," she said.

He smiled at her in return, grabbing her hand once more.

"Rowland?" she asked.

"Yes?"

"What are we?"

"Dating?"

"Yeah, I know that but I mean, after the summer, what is going to happen? Is it going to be "see you next year" or are we going to make it work?"

"I don't know, why don't we enjoy things at the moment?"

"Right."

Enjoy things in the present ... It reminded her of someone but she could not remember who. He was right though but the fear of the unknown and the fear of the future overwhelmed her and took control of her emotions.

What if Rowland considered her as a one-week girlfriend? She could not let herself have feelings for someone who did not reciprocate the same love. She would not let anyone break her heart ever again.

"It's just that I need to know what your feelings for me are. I cannot start developing feelings for someone I'm only going to talk to for a couple of weeks each year. I know I am asking a lot but I just need to know the truth," she pleaded.

Rowland turned around and sat down. His feet in the sand as he put a strand of her hair behind her ear. He smiled at her and softly kissed her on the cheek, before pulling away and looking at her straight in the eyes.

"I love you, Bri, and I want us to continue dating even after the summer. I have faith in us and I know that we can make it work, no matter how hard it is. You give me hope in myself because I know the stigma of long-distance relationships but I don't want to let you go," he revealed.

"Thank you, Rowland. That means a lot."

***

"You're going on a date!?" Jasmine yelled.

"Yes!" Cassandra replied.

"With who?" Lei wondered.

"It's a secret."

"Oh come on, give us a hint! Do we know him?" Brianna smiled.

"I think so."

Cassandra finding herself someone relaxed Brianna. It meant that Rowland and she were definitely in the past and she did not have to think over some nightmare-like scenarios of the two of them.

They were heading to the beach for another beach lesson when Terry joined them and waved. Brianna smiled back and as he hurried to walk with them, she hugged him before awkwardly pulling away.

"I'm sorry, that came out of nowhere. I missed you," she mumbled.

"That's alright, don't worry. I missed you too," he smiled.