Chapter 19

I barely slept that night. I briefly cried myself to sleep, but woke up again and again. I couldn't stop tossing and turning, and I just needed to move, so at three in the morning, I got up and threw on some clothes. Grabbing my backpack off the floor, I crept downstairs and dug out a piece of paper to write a note:

I'm sorry for yelling. I didn't mean it. I'll be home later tonight. I love you guys more than anything.

Scarlett is probably going to freak out when she finds the note, but I couldn't just sit there. I felt bad—I really did—but I couldn't face Scarlett and Adley after what I said. How am I ever going to apologize to Adley? She's just a kid.

I drove around for a while before parking near the airport to watch the planes take off as the sun rose in the sky. It was beautiful, but my mind was so distracted that I barely even noticed it.

Finally, it was time to go to school, so I drove there and met Devyn in the parking lot. "Hey," I greeted, walking up to her car and opening the door for her.

"Hey. You're not usually here this early," she said, getting out of the Chevy. I was leaning on her car door, so we were pretty close together.

"Just felt like coming in early," I shrugged.

"Whatever you say. C'mon, I need to stop at my locker before class." She stepped around me and I followed her into the school.

We were talking quietly as she grabbed her books, when a couple of football players walked behind us, spitting "Faggot" in my ear. I clenched my jaw and avoided looking at them. I'm used to it by now.

"God, I fucking hate them," Dev mumbled after they walked away.

"Yeah, tell me about it. They bother you a lot, too?"

"Only all the time," she replied with a halfhearted smirk.

"Yeah...me too."

"Hey, what do you say we get out of here?"

"What, like, ditch school?" She nodded and my laugh faded. "Dev, my mo- Scarlett would kill me if she found out."

"So don't let her find out. Come on, live a little," she encouraged me, stepping closer.

I blushed lightly and agreed, "Alright, fine. Let's do it."

And that's how I ended up burning rubber, racing my crush down a backstreet in LA. Much more educational than AP U.S. History, if you ask me. She drives a 1967 Impala and, God, it's a beautiful car. But mine's better.

With about thirty yards left, I pulled ahead and took the lead, finishing a split second before her. We both hit the brakes and hopped out of our cars.

"Ha! Take that! Camaro for the win, baby," I bragged, doing a mini victory dance over to her car.

She rolled her eyes and said, "Yeah, yeah. You just got lucky," but she had a smile on her face. Her eyes darted between my lips and my eyes, causing a brilliant blush to spread across my cheeks.

"We, uh, should probably go before some cops show up or something," I said, attempting to ignore the fluttering feeling in my stomach.

"Yeah, I think that old lady back there called the cops on us." I nodded and went to step back, but she stepped closer and grabbed the back of my neck, pulling me into a kiss. I hesitantly put my hands on her hips and pulled her closer, unsure of what to do since it was my first kiss.

She pulled away and winked, walking backward towards her car. "I'll see you at school tomorrow, Y/N."

"See you, new girl," I said as she got in her car. She drove away and I got in mine, smiling like an idiot as I took off down the street.