To Understand

February 15th

Faye Calinao

My hands shakily reached for the spoon as Daoming sat across the table from waiting for me to have my first bite. It was the morning after the rough evening. Doaming Si and I sat in a cafe after visiting the hospital to remove my cast.

After Daoming Si talked with me, I ended up staying the night in the guest room to rest for the night. Doaming Si had someone buy me clothes for school and he made sure all my school things were upstairs in the living room when I came downstairs this morning.

It felt strange having Doaming Si take me to the hospital and then take me to breakfast. I had no idea what to do with myself as I sat in the passenger seat of his sports car. I can't believe I was having breakfast with him and he wasn't being his usual self with me. I still felt at unease I was spending time with the one person who bullied me.

"Is the food alright?" Doaming Si asked towards the end of our meal. I nod lightly enjoying the pastries and fruits.

"I really liked the croissants." Daoming Si nodded slightly.

"How... does it feel to finally be out of the cast?" I looked at my right arm and moved it slightly so I could bend my arm to raise my hand to raise the cup that was now in my hand to my mouth.

"It's strange. Very free feeling. Do you think the doctor would disapprove if I picked up my bow to start playing at rehearsals and rehearsing again?"

"I think to a certain extent. I think gradually getting back into it is safe. You shouldn't over exert yourself."

"Th-Thank you for taking me in," I spoke softly. When my cast was taken off Doaming Si told me I could stay in his home until Ximen settled down. Last night Doaming Si I was okay before returning down to the basement with Ximen.

"Congratulations to you and Lei for having a child on the way. I never... thought I'd see this coming."

"Thank you."

"May I ask something?" I hummed as I finished the rest of my orange juice.

"How... far along are you?" I'm surprised by his sudden interest in the child. I wasn't sure how to feel about this.

"About three and a half months. Lei and I have already had our first ultrasound. Lei seems excited to be a father."

"Wow, this is really big news. I'd never thought of you and Lei..."

"July 26th is the due date."

"You must be excited."

"I'm trying to," I half smiled, but failed at the many things going wrong at the moment. Doaming Si seemed to understand what I was referring to.

"He will eventually come around. It may take a long time on this one."

"He just cut me out of his life... That doesn't sound like something he is going to get over." I put the cup down and sighed. It felt weird talking about this with him.

"For now try hanging with your science friends and Lei. Keep yourself busy this semester." If only I could.

///

"Lei..." I spoke after I had knocked on the door to the practice room. Lei stood in the middle of the room with his violin. I was anxious to see him after Ximen's threats to hurt him last night and wanted to make sure he was alright. I closed the door behind me and walked into the room.

Seeing he was standing there with no bruises or anything out of place relieved me. My shoulders relaxed and I stopped in front of him and shyly stood there unsure of how frustrated he was with me.