Chapter 22

Scarlett's P.O.V

"You look like shit," I said, taking in his messy hair and wide eyes, resembling a deer caught in headlights.

"As if you look any better," he retorts. "What the fuck happened?" he asked.

"Well, I had a seizure, and they sedated your ass because you went all caveman on the doctor," I replied, fidgeting with my fingers.

"The fucker didn't know what he was doing," Alex replied.

"And you would? For fuck's sake, you interfering could have killed me. Not that that would have been a bad thing," I replied, muttering that last part.

"What? Repeat that," he demands, clenching his jaw in anger as I stay silent.

"Scar, I don't know what the hell you're going on about but I wouldn't ever try to kill you. I get that me interfering would be catastrophic and is an idiot move on my end, but don't you ever say that you dying wouldn't be a bad thing," he snapped.

"And why wouldn't it be Alex? I can't fucking walk! I'm pretty much useless! All I do when the day comes is sit on this mother fucking bed with my thoughts. I'm going crazy here, Alex. The nurses already think I should be shipped to the psych ward. That motherfucker that claimed to love me only cares about his beloved fucking truck that got me into this mess. And you? God, I don't even know where to start with you," I said, exhausted.

"Scar, I know I haven't been the best to you. No amount of sorry's will make up for the shit I've put you through. But I promise to do better. I promise to try to be the man you want me to be. I miss you. I miss what we had. I foolishly gave it away because I couldn't commit. I couldn't give you the stability you needed and craved," he said, taking my face in his hands so that I could look at him. In his eyes I could see that he meant every word. Part of me wanted to forgive him, forget the whole thing completely and start over. But another part of me knew that couldn't happen.

"Alex, I know you're sorry but-," I started, only for him to cut me off.

"Baby, baby. Listen to me, okay? Even if you don't want there to be an us anymore, I'll get it. I'll work for it. But please don't push me out of your life as I did to you. I need to be able to protect you," he replied in a rush.

"Alex, you always say you're trying to protect me but I really don't see what you're trying to protect me from. At least beforehand I couldn't see it. Now I'm fucking crippled and useless and-," I began as a few tears slipped from my eyes.

"Hey, hey. Look at me, Scar. I don't care if you can't walk. I'll look for the best doctors to fix it and make you better and if they can't then that's ok. I'll always be here for you. But right now, I need you to know that there are dangerous people out there searching for you. As soon as you can get out of here, I need you to disappear again. I can't risk you getting hurt. All I ask is that you try to keep in contact with me," he rushed, looking around and holding me tight as if I would be ripped away from him any second.

"Alex, what the fuck are you talking about? As far as people are concerned, I'm dead," I replied.

"It worked for a while, yes. But somehow word got around that you're still alive. My enemies? Your father's enemies? They're looking for you to get to both of us. I've already spoken to your father and his new family, they've already gone into hiding. But here, you're vulnerable and out in the open. I need you to promise me that no matter what, no matter how small, you call me if something seems off," Alex said looking at me intently.

"Alex-" I began.

"Scar, promise me," he said more roughly this time as he places a phone in my hand.

"Okay, okay. Shit, I promise," I replied as I took the phone from him.

"Everything I do, I do for you. Always remember that," he said as he pressed our foreheads together.

Taking a deep breath, I take him in fully. He's trying to change. As he leans his lips towards mine, I had to pull away.

"I still have a boyfriend," I reminded him.

"That piece of shit doesn't scare me," he replied as he pressed his lips against mine. "I missed those lips so fucking much," he added, kissing me again until there was a knock on the door.

"Ali, you have a visitor in the lobby. Goes by the name Cade? I just wanted to see if I could send him up since you had him barred from seeing you," the nurse whose name I believe was Greg said.

"Oh, right um, just give me like five minutes and then you can send him up," I replied.

"Of course," he replied, leaving.

"You should go," I said to Alex.

"Yeah, I know. Don't break up with that piece of shit yet. We can use him for cover," he replied.

"Seriously?" I asked.

"Just don't kiss him too much. I'll kill the fucker for touching you when this shit is over," he replied as he grabbed his coat. "I'll be back tomorrow," he added as he kissed me one last time and walked out the door.

Fixing my hair, I calm myself down and think about the events that just took place.

People are after me? Who?

I know Alex is a dangerous man with many enemies, but what does my dad have to do with all this?

How the fuck are people finding out that I'm not dead?

Why did-

"Hey," Cade said from the doorway, interrupting my thoughts. I don't even look at him. I couldn't. "Look, I'm sorry. I've been acting like a major dick. My mom made cookies," he added as he placed the plate of cookies on my lap.

"Babe, c'mon, I'm sorry, alright?" he said shaking my legs in an effort to get my attention, but all it did was remind me that I couldn't feel them.

"Fuck, I forgot, I'm sorry," he quickly said as he noticed the tears running down my cheeks, rushing to brush them away.

"It's fine. What kind of cookies are these?" I asked, taking his hands off me. All I could think about were Alex's hands and how they felt. Now, Cade's hands on me felt so wrong.

"Chocolate chip. Your favorite," he replied as he sat in the chair beside me. Alex's chair. I really need to stop thinking about him.

"Tell your mom I said thanks," I said as I took a bite. No matter how upset or mad I was at Cade, his mother's chocolate chip cookies were heavenly, and I couldn't help but sigh in relief at the taste. It was a much needed change from the disgusting hospital food they served here.

"I will. How have you been?" he asked.

"Fine," I replied. I just wanted a nap. These cookies tasted so much like home, that I was already starting to feel sleepy.

"Baby," he started. Don't call me that, I wanted to say. "Look, I know I haven't been the best but I'm hoping you can forgive me and we can start over?" he asked. I so badly wanted to kick this fucker in his face but my inability to move my legs and Alex's words replayed in my head.

Don't break up with that piece of shit yet. We can use him for cover.

"Sure," I replied with a smile as I took another cookie.

"Thank you, baby. You won't regret it," he said, bringing my lips to his to kiss him. Even his kisses were repulsive now.

"God, you really love those cookies, huh?" he asked.

"Yeah, you want one?" I asked.

"No, they're for you, love. I know you need a break from the food here anyways," he said as his phone rang.

"Yeah...alright, I'll be there...mhm...mhm...yeah...you got it, boss,"

"I-,"

"Gotta go, I know," I replied. "Go, I'm tired anyway," I replied yawning.

"Okay, babe. I'll bring more cookies for you next time, alright?" he said as he headed out the door.

"Yeah, yeah," I said tiredly as I slipped into a dark abyss.