Drunk

Thomas woke up with the sound of his phone ringing. He tried to ignore it but it wouldn't stop buzzing. He picked it up from the brown bed side table.

"Hello?" He said with a sleepy voice.

"Tom! Don't you have school now?" It was Teresa.

"Yeah, but I was supposed to wake up in like thirty minutes."

"Oops, my bad." She said. "Anyway, I forgot to text you yesterday. How was your first day of school?"

"Did you really just call me at six am to ask how was my first day of school?"

"Yeah, I did."

"You're the worst girlfriend ever." He closed his eyes, wanting to go back to sleep. "But yeah, it was good. I was actually thinking about signing up for basketball."

"That's great! I hope you get it. I gotta go. Love you!"

"Love you, too." She hung up.

Thomas sighed, knowing he wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. He put his pants and a shirt on and went downstairs.

-----------

The next day was boring as usual. Thomas felt like the classes were the same as the day before, he couldn't tell the difference since he hadn't payed any attention. But this time, there were no birds to watch, so he kept staring at the boy three desks away from him. He was worse than the birds. The only interesting thing that he had done the whole class was yawn - and it wasn't even that interesting. When the bell finally rang, Thomas went to the gym, ready to take the basketball exams.

He saw Newt, Minho and some other boys in the red uniform. On the shirt it read 'Grievers'. What a great name for a team. Thomas wondered what it meant. He caught Newt staring at him, wanting to say something but not doing anything at all.

After all of the boys had gotten there, Minho splitted them in two groups and just gave them a ball. And then they played. Thomas noticed how they were all too focused on themselves to care about the group.

"Remember that not all of you are going get in the team so why don't you all just do better!" Minho started to yell at them.

Thirty minutes later, Minho told them the exam was over. "We'll show you the results later. Now go to the locker room because you are all stinking!" Minho made a good coach since he yelled all the time. Thomas was sweaty and tired. He started to walk away when Newt ran to walk beside him.

"Hi, Newt."

"Hey, Tommy. You did great at the exam." They found the locker room and got in.

"You think?" Thomas got his shirt off.

"Yeah. Minho said you seemed like a good player. Maybe you'll even get in the team." Thomas put on a clean shirt, for Newt's disappointment.

"Wow really? Thank you, Newt!" Thomas was almost jumping of happiness.

"Calm down. I'm not sure if you got in." But Newt was smiling just by seeing his reaction.

"Thank you anyway." Thomas was cleaning his face with a towel. He sat on some sort of bench next to Newt.

"For what?" Newt was staring into his brown eyes.

Thomas looked away. "You've been so nice to me since I got here."

"Of course." Newt patted him on the shoulder. The boys had already started to get in the locker room. Minho came after them.

"I still have to discuss some things with Ben, but I'll call the people who are in the team later. And if you don't answer your fucking phone, you're out." Minho announced.