Can I borrow your boyfriend?

All the habits of my heart / I can't say no / It's ripping me apart / You get too close / You make it hard to let you go

Jaymes Young

Thomas took a shower in Newt's bathroom and made his way to the guest room. His hair was still wet, and he wanted to lie down but didn't want to wet the bed - not in the way that you're probably thinking. Thomas laid down anyway and intertwined his fingers under his head. Something was up with Newt and Sean. It seemed like the perfect opportunity to make a move, but it didn't feel right. Although he liked Newt, he didn't want to mess up the boy's head. It would be like taking advantage of him. Thomas wanted to win his heart, but not like that.

That's when he realized a blonde girl was by the door, staring at him shyly, her eyes filled with curiosity. It must be his little sister, Thomas assumed.

"Are you my brother's boyfriend?"

The boy sat up and chuckled. "No, I'm just his friend."

"My mommy told me that you were Newt's special friend."

He smiled sadly. "Your brother already has someone else. His name is Sean, have you met him yet?"

She nodded repeatedly. "They were arguing today. I don't like him very much, he makes my brother upset."

Coincidentally, Newt was passing through the hallway, he stopped behind the girl to hear. He smiled at Thomas.

"Sometimes Newt's cheeks go red when mommy talks about you. My friend said that when someone goes red it means they like someone." Newt immediately went red.

"Lily! Weren't you supposed to be in bed right now?" Even though he was kind of mad, he managed to use a soft tone. "Come on, I'm putting you to sleep." He took her hand and looked over at Thomas before leaving the room. Lily's room was right in front of the guest's room, so all Thomas had to do was get up take a few steps. He leaned against the doorjamb and watched Newt putting his little sister to sleep. The boy was kneeling on the floor, while Lily stood beside him. She climbed up her bed while Newt pushed the covers over her.

"Why do you like Sean? He just yells at you."

"It's complicated. But we can talk about this later, alright?"

She nodded. Newt kissed her forehead and got up. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Lily."

He realized that Thomas was there and held his breath for a second, feeling like he had invaded his privacy. Nonetheless, Thomas was staring at him worriedly instead of taking the opportunity to make a move. Newt turned the lights off, closed the door and walked with him to the guest room, sitting on the bed.

"You're so cute." Thomas accidentally let the words come out. "With your sister, I mean."

"Yeah." Long silence.

"What happened between you two?"

Newt sighed, keeping his eyes on the ground. "I tried to talk to him about the other night. I felt so invaded, vulnerable and I hated it. So he started to yell at me, saying that he was my boyfriend and that normal couples do that. I know, it's so bloody stupid. I should have shut the fuck up."

"It's not stupid, I was there, Newt." He tried his best not to call Sean a motherfucker.

"It wasn't his fault. He was drunk, confused and just wanted to... You know."

"Fuck you." Thomas said straight to Newt. "Yeah, it was kind of obvious."

"Look, Thomas, he just wanted to do what we did every bloody day."