𓊈卍 𝟑𝟗 卍𓊉

"I thought I'd find you here."

Nakano slowly approaches her brother's partner, who's sitting cross legged in front of Baji's grave. Two weeks have passed since his death, and Chifuyu has been visiting him everyday.

It's been a while since Nakano has been back here. The mere thought of coming to visit made her uneasy. But she knew she had to, to pay her respects, and formally apologize again. Not only to Baji, but to Chifuyu too.

Said blonde boy glances back at his partner's twin. "Hey, Nakano-san. What are you doing here? And where's Takemitchy?"

"He went to meet up with Draken," she answers. "I'm gonna join them too, but I had to come by and properly pay my respects."

He just nods, and they both face the grave where their friend is currently resting. It's completely silent between the two of them for a few minutes. Nakano has her palms pressed together, her eyes closed.

"You knew the whole time too, didn't you." Chifuyu's statement is genuine, not meant to be spiteful at all.

Nakano holds no lies against him. "Yeah."

She explains everything she did with Baji. From when he saved her twice, to when he asked for her help on the same night he 'quit' Toman, and then when exchanged information before the battle.

She then finishes with: "I told him about our investigation with Osanai, so in a way, you helped him too."

Though this may make Chifuyu feel a little better, he still can't help but question. "Why did he ask you to help him instead of me?"

"I asked him the same thing when he came to me the first time." Nakano recalls that night, when he desperately sought her help. "At first, he said that it was because he didn't think any of his friends would believe him. But as I continued to work with him, I realized there was much more to it."

She glances down at the boy in front of her. "He didn't want you getting involved... Because he thought you would be in his place right now if you had been."

Chifuyu's eyes widen, as his back straightens up a bit more. "He... Knew he was going to die..?"

"I think he did." Nakano once again recites what he told her. "'If it all goes to shit, please protect my friends.' That's what he told me. He knew something was going to go wrong, and he was right. Killing himself was the only way he knew he could fix it. Shift the blame of his death onto himself so there would be no reason to blame anyone else."

"But the blame should be on me and me alone." She bites the inside of her cheek as she braces herself for what she's about to say. "Chifuyu, I... I'm very sorry. I know the mistake I made is irreversible."

There's a moment of silence, before Chifuyu stands up and turns to face her.

"Punch me all you want, or kick me as hard as you can if that will satisfy you."

She doesn't even bother to brace herself. She waits for Chifuyu to attack her, but her heart skips a beat when she sees the tears forming in his eyes. 

As soon as the teardrops streak down his cheeks, he throws his arms around her. He weeps loudly, clinging onto the now paralyzed Nakano. Though, instead of being awkward and not doing anything, she hugs him back, giving him a sense of comfort and protection.

She hopes this works. It did for her when Mikey found her on the rooftop.

"I-I reall-y m-miss hi-m..." He hiccups through his bawling.

Nakano's sadness returns, as her eyes begin to burn with tears as well, but she keeps them in for Chifuyu's sake. She gently pats his back, hoping that it at least helps a little bit, which it does. They stay that way for a little while, before Chifuyu calms down and lets her go.