Prologue

Celeste ruined everything. Although on this occasion she wasn't sure how she had managed to mess up on such a huge scale. Her heart was beating a mile a minute and she was watching her home burn to the ground as if it was nothing. As if her family wasn't inside. She could only hope that Izabela was in there with those she loved. The bitch deserved to burn. Everything she could call her own was in that building and it seemed there was nothing to be done. She could feel the fire warming her frozen cheeks and decided that there was nothing more for her to do here. She could not save them and she could not bring herself to join them in their screams. So she did the only thing she could and took one last look at the place she had grown up and turned and left. She found the nearest port town and disguised herself. She knew that they would have found one set of bones too few in the family chambers and yet she could not imagine staying and ruling a country that was without everyone she loved.

Celeste found a boat that would take her far far away and began her journey to losing herself.

In losing herself, Celeste had found Jean and they had started a life together she had never seen for herself, and she was happier than she had ever been. Their life was one of outlaws and thieves and they were the most successful in their field, building wealth that many would never see in a lifetime.

Astrid had found her sister not 300 years after Celeste had fled the country in despair. At first she could hardly believe it to be here as she had not aged a day, however, that being said, nor had Astrid. They had found each other and decided that they could start anew together. They could forget all of the hurt and loss of their pasts and start again. That was until Astrid found her soulmate and started forgetting about Celeste.

Celeste and Jean convinced the soulmate, Alaric, to leave. They managed to convince him to fake his death and leave. He did. She could only pray to a god she had never believed in and to those that she hadn't believed in for millenia, that Astrid would always believe her and Alaric would never return to them. She knew how bad her luck was though.

It seemed Celeste couldn't escape trouble. Here was Jean coming to her with more bad news. This time of someone high up in the syndicate being killed. They had been running it for 20 years in London by now, with Astrid coming in and out, occasionally helping. She hadn't gotten over Alaric's death, which in Celeste's opinion was absolutely absurd. It had been over 100 years. No one needed that long to get over a death. It had only taken her 5 to recover enough from their entire family's death, how Astrid couldn't recover from her soulmates in 100 was beyond her and so she had chosen to ignore Astrid's drama. Now was not a time to think of Astrid when the person in charge of making sure everyone got an equal cut was dead. They had to find out if he had money on him and how much. And if he had any important information. She really hoped he didn't, otherwise she was going to have to personally go out and kill some people which she had not done in a while. As the years passed she had begun to kill less and less. She had thought she was becoming a better person from who she had been in her worst years. Centuries. She knew Jean would think she was already a good person. She didn't agree.