Chapter Eighteen

Alaric and Astrid met at the turn of the century. The 17th century to be precise. It was a cold winter and many royal courts across Europe were, in a sense, battening down the hatches and layering up. New comers were few and far between, so when someone did show up they were the talk of the banqueting hall.

Alaric appeared at the Austrian court looking worse for wear in January of 1600. His clothes looked road worn and he looked like he needed a bath. Not uncommon in those days as baths were luxuries few could afford, even amongst the royal retinue.

Very few had ever heard the name Alaric [last name], but those who had could tell stories that would delight and horrify in the same breath. He was not well known, but those who did knew him well. He was greeted with open arms by the crown prince the night he arrived. It was a stormy night out and the court were beginning to turn in, ready to sleep. His arrival was caught by the few courtiers left at around 12am who were resolutely staying awake and present to get into the prince's good books. Thats when Alaric arrived.

The doors slammed open in front of him and a few of the candles guttered as the howling wind rushed in. A tremor crossed all those in the hall. He was a large figure, silhouetted by the full moon barely hidden by the snow rushing down.

"Alaric, I'm so glad you could join us." The crown prince called out from his spot at the high table, jovial till the last. The man now identified as Alaric smiled and continued into the large room.

"My liege. I am so honoured of your offer to join you. I offer my apologies that it has taken me so long to get here. My journey has not been an easy one." He came thudding over, his mass creating looming silhouettes as he passed under candles.

Astrid, Celeste and Jean had not been in Austria long and so had not been able to make themselves indispensable to the ruler's yet, but with Alaric' help that would change everything.

By the late hour Alaric had arrived Jean and Celeste had gone to the chambers the royal family had very kindly and thoughtfully set aside for them. Astrid had decided to stay out longer and see if she could strengthen her relationship with the prince. He seemed to be interested in her and she made sure she was just on the edge of respectable both with her clothing and actions. She couldn't afford to have the other ladies whispering about her in case anyone overheard something or said something that could ruin everything. They had a job to do and a role to play and Astrid was going to do what she could to help them out. She hadn't been back with her sister long and so didn't want to ruin anything. She had not known her sister well when they were growing up, mostly due to Izabela, but Astrid was determined to get that lost time back. She would help them however they needed. And currently they needed her to get as close to the prince's bed as possible. Preferably into it. Then she would have direct access to his ear and could get all the money and connections they needed.

However, the arrival of Alaric that night was really going to throw a spanner in the works. She was sat as close to the prince as possible and was making sure as much of his attention went to her as she could. That was why she had turned to see what had taken his precious attention from her. The man - if he could even be called that - who had walked in seemed to know the prince quite well. Well enough that he knew him by name and was openly welcoming in his tone of voice. The two men clearly knew each other well and had been friends for a while. It was obvious to Astrid that this Alaric was not human. If the prince knew this then it could work well in their favor but if he didn't then she was going to have to make sure not to let anything slip. She did not want to make enemies of the men of this court as well as the women.

The man came striding up to the prince who raised from his seat in answer. They clasped arms and the prince brought the man close to him in an embrace. Astrid personally would have liked to have kept the man as far from her as possible as she had smelt his foul stench the second he had walked in. She was certain there was a scent of human in his beard that was not fresh or had even been fresh within the month. How he could stand it was beyond her. Let alone the prince. Although she supposed he had a weaker nose than the two of them and so it was likely to bother him less.