Chalter 1: First of all...

"Could you please pass the butter?" Max said as he sat down at the table.

"Not really, I'm kinda busy," I looked up from my plate of waffles and opened my mouth, making a face "Isn't that obvious?"

"Really?" he said as he made a disgusted face and sat down at the table. I decided not to answer and just looked back down at my waffles.

"We have a big test today." I don't know why I had to say we. Every time I imply I have friends my brother gets all over me. I don't know why.

"We? What do you mean we Jack? Are you trying to convince me that you have friends again?"

See it always happens. I just decided to do my best to ignore him and just focus on my food.

"Well, I'm off," Max said as he got up from the table and made his way to the coat rack. Once there, he picked up his backpack and opened the front door. "See you tonight loner," and then he was gone.

That was nice. I really didn't like him sometimes. But he is all I have. After our parents died, I went to live with him in his apartment. He was going to college at the University of Washington. So when I moved here, I had to leave everything behind. My friends, my memories, my birthplace, and all of my belongings except for a few pairs of clothes.

A college student in Seattle doesn't have the much money to spend on a nice place. Most nights I sleep on the couch, but sometimes when I'm lucky I get to sleep on a gold out bed. And that's only when the mice have decided to leave it alone for the day. I have very little to look forward to in life. Not much of a future. But I am very thankful for my brother. Because without him, I would be in foster care, with no hope of a future. Here, I at least have a little hope.

Just because I have a sad life doesn't mean I don't have to go to school. Speaking of school, I'm running late. I quickly stuffed the rest of my breakfast in my mouth and made my way out the door.