Chapter 7: The Boss

As we were escorted out of the room, I had a empty feeling in the pit of my stomach. Like something was about to happen.

We walked for what seemed like miles, in and out of underground corridors, through abandoned buildings and piles of rubble. The smell of smoke drifting with the wind. People in tattered clothing lined the streets, clinging to their remaining belongings, and retreating into the shadows as we pass.

I can feel the muzzle of a gun being forcibly jammed into my back, letting us know that our captives are still in control.

We approach a ugly brick building and as we get close the door opens. We walk inside to see a hallway, lined with armed guards. As we walk through the hallway, I realize that if we had wanted to escape we would've needed to do it outside. Now, we just had to go with whatever they tell us to do.

There is a black door at the end of the hallway. We are lead through the door and up a flight of stairs on the other side. The stairs creaked as we walked I them, giving me the sense that they would break at any moment sending me to my death and/or injury.

As we peak the stairs I see a person in a suit sitting behind an oak wood desk. The figure has his back to us.

"Boss," says one of the men that lead us here "We brought you what you requested,"

"Leave us," says "boss". Based on the bosses voice the boss is obviously a man. The terrorists behind us immediately obeyed, bowing and turning on their heels before making their way down the stairs and closing the door behind them.

"We have a right to know what the hell is going on!" Caleb yelled from behind me. This was very unexpected. So far he had just been quiet and now he was a war hero all the sudden.

"I'm sure you think you do. But it is only out of the goodness of my heart that I will tell you what the hell is going on." As he finished his sentence he turned in his chair. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was my father.