Kabanata 23

Kabanata 23

The right thing to do was turn off the phone or end the call however it was also rational to answer it. Paano kung importante? Hindi naman siguro masama kung sasagutin ko dahil wala naman na ako'ng nararamdaman para kay CL.

I was supposed to answer it but the call ended on its own. Para ako'ng binunutan ng tinik sa dibdib dahil hindi ko na kailangan marinig ang boses n'ya. Hindi naman sa nagtatampo, I just felt bad that we had to end things the way it ended. Yet, maybe I just find it hard to let go of people too.

Nakatanggap ako ng isang text mula kay CL sa phone ni Etienne.

CL:

You don't have to answer it if you're busy. I'll send the details to you via email. Have a nice day, Etienne.

I could practically hear his accent and his voice in my head while reading the text. Palagi talaga siyang kalmado. His voice fits his dream career, kahit kailan ay hindi ko pa nakitang nagalit o nainis man lang si CL. He'll be good with kids too. Bagay sa kan'ya ang maging pedia.

I fidgeted my fingers. I feel like a criminal for reading that text. I fight the urge to reply back. Hindi bale na lamang, alam ko naman na sasabihin ni CL kung importante talaga 'yon. I should stop thinking about it.

"Lavy," Etienne called. Umangat ang tingin ko sa kan'ya. I stood and gave his things back.

"Someone called," I confessed. "Si CL yata. I didn't answer the call, sorry."

Hindi ko alam kung bakit namutla si Etienne. His face hardened upon hearing what I said. Agad naman siyang umiling-iling. He smiled at me at fixed the few falling strands of my hair on my face.

"It's okay. It's just about family, you didn't have to answer it."

Hinawakan n'ya ako sa aking kamay at giniya pabalik sa rink. "One last round?"

Ngumiti naman ako sa kan'ya at tumango. This time, I hardly stumble. Marunong na ako kahit papaano.

"What if we try skating in pairs?" I asked Etienne. "I wanna try a sport too."

Etienne's forehead gradually formed a frown. "Aren't you into Taekwondo? Black belter ka pa nga?"

"Yes! But I want to try this too. Para pareho tayo," sagot ko.

"Do you trust me. . . That much?" Etienne asked, his voice was laced with utmost sincerity. It sounded grateful even. Napalingon ako sa kan'ya. My eyes didn't fray away when I could feel that his eyes were misty.

"Skating in pairs means you trust your partner with your life. The stunts are not easy and a mistake of your partner can even harm you," saad ni Etienne. His movements gradually became slower than usual. It was as if he was thinking deeply.

"To hear that you want us to try skating in pairs. . .It means a lot to me that you trust me, Lavy. . ." he rasped, I could even feel that he wanted to cry. "Because most of the people I know actually don't. And I understand them. Who would trust someone who manipulates people to make his ideals turned into reality?"

"Bakit mo kasi ginagawa 'yon? Hindi naman lahat ay nadadaan sa pagmamaniubra," saway ko sa kan'ya.

He looked away, parang nahuli siya sa maling ginagawa n'ya. I caught him red handed and he was ashamed of it.

"Wala lang," he answered. "Trip ko lang."

Nangunot ang noo ko. Ano'ng trip n'ya lang? I squeezed his hand which made him look at me.

"Sorry," he mumbled. "I just don't have a reasonable reason. I might as well just leave it at that."

"Pero titigil ka na ha?" I gradually loosen my grip. "Promise me that you'll stop being involve with others. Hindi mo na gagawin 'yong ginawa mo noon."