four

NATE DIXON

NATE DIXON

The feeling of drowning was familiar to Nate Dixon. When he was six, he had been playing alone in the lake close to his house. It didn't matter that the house was near to the lake where the young boy was playing because his father was passed somewhere in the old house and his mother had died a couple of months prior. So it hadn't mattered because his father wouldn't hear his son's cries for help as the water tried to swallow him. 

The whole world was spinning and he was struggling to keep the water out of his lungs until it felt like his head was exploding. At that point, he had to take a breath. That's when it stopped hurting and he started to see small white dots dancing around before his eyes. Even though Nate was young he somehow knew that his life had come to an end. 

But his life didn't end that day, otherwise, he wouldn't be standing outside those prison walls twenty years later,  and looking at the rotten bodies surrounding him. Suddenly he went back to that summer day and he felt like was drowning again but this time when he took a breath, the pain didn't stop.

Nate was sure that someone had said something but he was focused on eying everything, so he hadn't heard a word. He was snapped back into the conversation. 

"Never thought I'd be so happy to see these fences," Tomas said and he spread his hands. Nate had longed to take a breath of fresh air, feel the sun on his skin, or see the blue sky that reminded him of Bonnie's eyes. But now when the moment was there, he didn't feel joy. He didn't want to believe his eyes, that this was the new world now. He felt like a coward, sitting inside those cafeteria walls and waiting for help while this was happening outside.

"You never said. How the hell did you get in here in the first place?" Andrew asked.

"Cut a hole in that fence over there by the guard tower," Daryl explained and pointed at it.

"That easy, huh?" Andrew questioned.

"Where there's a will, there's a way," Daryl responded.

"Easy for you to say," Andrew snapped back.

Big Tiny poked one of the bodies with a stick. "So what is this like a disease?" 

"Yeah, but we're all infected," Rick explained and the prisoners turned to look at him, shocked and confused.

"What do you mean, infected? Like AIDS or something?" Axel asked, his arms crossed over his body.

"If I was to kill you, shoot an arrow in your chest, you come back as one of these things. It's gonna happen to all of us." Daryl explained.

"Ain't no way this Robin hood cast's responsible for killing all these freaks," Tomas said and looked around them.

"Must be fifty bodies out here," Andrew added.