thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

BONNIE COLLINS

"I would appreciate some room to work," the old man commented. Nate hovered nearby, his brow furrowed with worry, his gaze never straying from Bonnie's pale face.

As Hershel cleaned her wound with gentle care, Bonnie winced slightly, a soft hiss escaping her lips. She noticed that Nate tensed even more. "I'm fine," Bonnie commented, trying to assure Nate as well as herself.

He raised his brows at her. "Fine?" He turned back to Hersel. "She was unconscious most of the time back here. Is that normal?"

"She lost a lot of blood," he explained. "Good thinking covering the wound as soon as possible. Just keep an eye on her and wake her up a couple of times during the night." Nate nodded.

"She had luck on her side. The bullet went straight through," he continued, almost being done with the stitches. Bonnie tried to keep her eyes anywhere but the wound, feeling like she was going to puke if she saw the wound.

"Lucky me," she mumbled lowly and looked down and winced.

"You okay?" the old man asked.

"Yeah, sorry. I just don't really like blood," she explained lamely.

"Not long anymore," he said and gave her a warm smile and then looked back at Nate, almost warily. He continued working in silence. "There you go."

As Hershel finished dressing the wound, he gave Nate a reassuring pat on the shoulder before turning his attention back to Bonnie. "You'll need to take it easy for a while," he advised her gently. "No heavy lifting or strenuous activity until the wound has had a chance to heal."

"Thank you," she smiled. "Um, I hope the others are okay."

"You're welcome. I should go check on them actually," he got up using his crutches, "Just take it easy."

"Thanks," Nate mumbled lowly and Bonnie was sure that Hershel hadn't even heard him.

Nate helped Bonnie to lie down on the bed. "I'm sorry," Nate said as soon as Hershel exited the room.

"Oh shut up," Bonnie breathed knowing that Nate was feeling guilty about her getting shot. "It wasn't your fault."

"Does it hurt? I could go ask around if anyone has any meds," he suggested.

Bonnie shook her head but both of them knew she was lying, "I think I can take it." He seemed to think about it for a moment but eventually sat on the floor next to the bed.

"What's with the commotion?" she then asked, trying to change the subject. She hated seeing him so tense and hoped the question would take his mind somewhere else than her being hurt.