Chapter 3: Alternate view

Adrien heard the echo of his words to Chloe: ‘I want friends who are kind and caring’. The words formed into a mental image of his amazing, brave, kind and caring partner. Two arrondissements later, the image was cracking. Something was wrong with that picture. For years they have been together. For years he has loved her more than anything else, a love that grew as he got to know her better. As much as she let him. Why was it difficult to picture Ladybug as kind and caring? 

The change in routine surprised Plagg enough to pry out what was bothering Adrien. A quick stop to a cheese shop put a stop to that. Adrien spent two hours meandering around town, then surprised his bodyguard with a call to fetch him from the other side of Paris. Even though ‘I needed to go for a walk’ was not a good excuse, the “Gorilla” agreed not to tell his father. He only cared that Adrien was safe.

The photo shoot was painful as usual, nothing he wasn’t used to. He was back in his room when his phone alerted him to a Ladyblog update. Usually it meant an akuma attack. He felt terrible that he was happy there was an attack. He did not want anyone to get hurt, but a meeting with Ladybug should calm his restless soul.

Within minutes, Chat Noir was standing on a rooftop watching a very colorful person waving a paintbrush in the air. Wearing a black and white striped shirt, red pants and covered by a multicolored apron. Long hair, in all the colors of the rainbow, streaming down underneath the red painter’s hat. Chat was taken aback as the building across the road turned into a canvas with people falling or turning into paintings of themselves. He prayed no-one was badly hurt and looked around for Ladybug. He needed her to save those poor, painted people.

For now, he was alone. He needs to distract this guy to minimize damage until Ladybug gets here. There is no better way for that than to fall into his ‘hero’ persona.

“I’ll have you know, I’ve seen good art.” Chat called out loudly to get his attention. “This isn’t it. This more reminds me of the finger painting we did as kids.”

That got the expected reaction. The painted akuma turned in his direction and bellowed:

“You mock me! You mock my work!”

A jet of silver liquid shot at Chat. With a quick twist of the baton, he knocked it aside and vaulted over to attack the akuma. The guy was quick and Chat’s blows could not find his target. A sudden thrust and Chat stared at the brush fibers as they were about to connect with his face, only to see a Yo-Yo materialize and yank the brush away.

Ladybug!

Chat breathed a sigh of relief, knowing his partner was here to help and save him as usual. With a double backflip, he was standing next to his lady, giving her a warm smile. She was not looking at him, concentrating on the akuma.

“Thank you for the save, my Lady, I am happy you joined us.”

“I see I got here just in time to save your whiskers,” Chat ignored Ladybug’s serious tone and took her words as light banter.

“My whiskers thank you greatly. They are twitching with excitement at your arrival.”

“I’d rather you concentrate on the job at hand,” Ladybug did not even roll her eyes. “We need to get that brush away from him.”

After a few attacks, Ladybug gave him an order: “Chat, distract him.”

The postbox proved an excellent distraction when thrown at the akuma’s head, allowing Ladybug to make her move. Chat loved watching her in action, giving voice-over to her attack.

“Wonderful, we’re painting by numbers. One, two, three and four, and five,” sent the akuma through a fountain. Ladybug’s fighting was better than ever. She showed no mercy.