Epilogue

A/N

Risking ruining a good ending, I'm posting an epilogue to the story. 

The church scene starts ambiguous on purpose. Is it a wedding or a funeral? When I started writing it I thought I would also write an “alternative ending”, where it ends up being a wedding. Very Hollywoody.

But the funeral ended up so gut wrenchingly powerful, I dropped the idea. Instead, I wrote an epilogue, a continuation from the previous chapter. The previous chapter is really the end of the story, and I don't want this epilogue to ruin that powerful ending. But if, like me, you don't like sad endings, then read this epilogue. It takes away some of the pain.

-------------------------------

Epilogue

Six months later

The waters lapped up against the shore, reaching further with every wave, wetting the hitherto dry sand. The wave broke over the shell of a horseshoe crab lying helplessly on its back. The crab kicked its many legs aimlessly in the air, pushing with his long tail. It ceased kicking, exhausted from struggling to right itself. A pair of barefoot legs stepped next to the crab, two hands gripped the shell from the side. With a practiced move, the hands lifted the crab and placed it face down in the sand. Lacking any energy, it did not instantly move. A new wave brought water to its dry limbs. A small nudge from the rescuer got the crab moving toward the ocean. The young lady stood still, watching the crab make its way into the water, a smile brightening her face.

“You always find someone to help, even on a secluded beach.” 

The young lady turned to the new arrival with an even bigger smile.  

“There’s always someone to help, you just need to open your eyes and look.”

“You’re my hero. You’ve always been my hero.” The young man stepped closer and took her hands in his.

“And you are mine,” she returned to watching the crab before it disappeared into the water. “Everything deserves help, even a crab.”

“Did you know it isn’t actually a crab? It might be called horseshoe crab, but that is a misnomer. They are not part of the crab family. They are closer to spiders and scorpions. What’s more, they are very useful, their blood is essential to the health industry. Would you like me to explain how?”

She tugged his arms, forcing him to bend his head as she rose to kiss his cheek. 

“You’re such a dork.”

“But you love me for it.”

“True, I love you. But not because you’re a dork,” she gave him another kiss. “Careful, if you let out too much of your dorkiness I might reconsider this love thing.”

“Marinette!” the young man whined. “Don’t threaten me like that. My heart couldn’t take it.”

“Stop whining, Jacques,” Marinette gave him a small slap on his chest. “You know I love you more than life itself.”

Jacques flinched. 

“What? That wasn’t that hard.” Marinette raised a brow.

“I hate that name.”

“I’m sorry,” Marinette wrapped her arms around Jacques and rested her cheek on his chest. Jacques wrapped her in his embrace, holding her close.