Chapter 12: The lady under the mask

“Plagg. What am I going to do?”

“Here we go again. You better have restocked the Camembert supply if you want any help from me.”

“I told the chef this morning. It should keep you supplied for a few days.”

There were so many thoughts bouncing in Adrien’s head he felt for bumps appearing on his face. They arrived back from the photoshoot a short time ago, came straight up to the room and crumpled on the bed. They were both lying supine, arms stretched out to the side. Plagg disappeared into the feather pillow with an audible sigh. 

“What are you are sighing about, all you did today was sleep in my pocket? Do you want to go out running to let off some pent-up energy?”

“What?” Plagg cried, aghast. “Go out in the cold when I have these soft, warm feathers, hugging me. I’m not a masochist. You go running around and leave me right here.”

Thousands year-old kwami, with the power to level cities, and all he wants is to lie on a feather pillow. Why did he get such a lazy kwami? Adrien was certain that Ladybug’s kwami was a little bundle of energy, always on the move, doing, helping, and eating anything but stinky cheese.

“I can’t go without you, Plagg. I would climb out the window and plummet down to the ground. That will end up with me in the hospital and bars installed on the windows. Quite a sad end to my superheroing days.”

“Sounds like a good plan,” Plagg chuckled, “then we can just stay home and eat.” 

“Do you think of anything else besides food?” 

“Sleep.”

“I walked into that one,” Adrien facepalmed. “You realize you’re avoiding my question?” 

Plagg was trying hard to appear nonplussed, but Adrien knew his friend, and something was bothering him.

“What question?” Plagg claimed innocence.

“What am I going to do.”

“You should go to sleep.”

“Plagg! You know what I mean.”

“Be more specific. If it isn’t about food or sleep, then I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“About Ladybug. About Marinette. I am so confused I don’t know what I’m thinking anymore. Take Ladybug, I don’t understand what is going on with her. Then Marinette, I realized I like her more than I thought. Which makes me think of Ladybug again, and that just confuses me even more.”

The two lay in silence, studying the ceiling. Adrien was certain he could draw the pattern of his ceiling from memory. He remembered every tile, every chip and blemish. The product of long hours spent home alone, lying in bed staring at the ceiling.

The dark ceiling reminded him of space. That made him ponder aliens and hamsters. Aliens and hamsters gave him a warm, fuzzy feeling he did not quite understand. 

“You’re saying that Marinette makes you think of Ladybug?” Plagg ventured. “Why?”

“I don’t know.” Adrien contemplated for a minute. “Maybe because I like her, but I love Ladybug. I feel guilty that I have feelings for someone else besides Ladybug. It’s like I am cheating on her, but I’m not, since we’re not together. I enjoy kissing her, even when I know she has no feeling behind it. Then I wonder what would it be like to kiss Marinette and if she could grow to have feelings for me. She’s almost as much of a mystery as Ladybug.”