Chapter 7: Helping the needy

Marinette woke up the following morning with a headache. She washed her face and brushed her teeth, trying to ignore the pain. With eyes scrunched in pain as she put on the same clothes as always, too much in agony to bother with anything else. She rubbed her temples throughout breakfast, trying, unsuccessfully, to ease the pain. Her head was still pounding while she snuck some chocolate-chip cookies into her purse, kissed her mom, hugged her dad and walked out the door to school. 

As the day progressed, her headache subsided, leaving a dull ache following her around. Her nightly headaches rarely lasted until morning. She wondered, not for the first time, what was wrong with her. The headaches, forgetfulness, and exhaustion. It was difficult getting through the day.

She was walking down a corridor when she suddenly felt dizzy, the dull ache taking a front row seat. Stumbling into the nearest classroom, she closed the door and leaned back on it, waiting for the world to stop spinning.

“Marinette?”

Marinette looked up to find herself in the music room. The chairs lined up in a semi-circle around a podium. Between the chairs stood numerous music stands, some sporting a booklet or a few loose pieces of paper. The shelves around the rooms holding different musical instruments and the walls boasted framed photos of school bands from previous years.

The source of the voice came from the back of the room where a petite girl, with short blond hair, oval face with way too much makeup, sat with a violin in her hands. What she was doing with it was beyond Marinette’s limited musical knowledge. 

“Oh, hi,” Marinette squeaked. Getting better control of her voice, she tried again. “Hi Cheriss. How are you?”

Cheriss looked askance at her. 

“Erm. Fine,” she hesitantly answered.

“I’m sorry to disturb whatever it is you are doing. I needed a minute to clear my head, away from everyone. Don’t mind me, I’ll just stand here for a few minutes.”

“Ok,” said Cheriss, continuing to stare at her. 

Marinette rested her head on the door and closed her eyes, surprised at the turn of events. She was never this lucky. This was a perfect opportunity to help Nino. How does she approach this girl that she never speaks to? How do you give advice to someone who clearly mistrusts you? She could not blame Cheriss. Marinette said nothing bad to Cheriss, but she was never friendly to her either. 

She could do this. It isn't scary at all. She took a big breath.

Opening her eyes, she found Cheriss sitting low in the chair with her head slightly turned, sinking into her shoulders, watching Marinette wearily. 

I have no reason to fear a cornered mouse

Squashing her condescending thoughts, Marinette smiled and asked, “What are you doing there?”

Cheriss stared at her for a few seconds, looked down at the violin then back up at Marinette, as if she wasn’t sure herself..

“I left my shoulder rest at home,” Cheriss said, sounding apologetic. “I found one here, but it is a different type than the one I have. I’m trying to attach it but it just doesn’t sit right.”