Chapter 8 | Fireflies

The living room is quite cozy, with the television casting a dim glow, watching Sports Center as I pass the time

The living room is quite cozy, with the television casting a dim glow, watching Sports Center as I pass the time. My folks went to bed at 8:30, except for Quinn. I am counting on him to fall asleep soon so he can't catch me in action. He nods off a few times as the college basketball highlights watch him. 

The smell of burnt popcorn lingering in the air from the bowl our parents set out earlier is nauseating. I keep an eye on him from the recliner, waiting for him to not fight his sleep.

It's 9:43 PM.

A part of me is eager to go, but the other part fears disobeying my parents. I'm worried they will wake up to use the restroom and drop by my room before they return to bed. It happens, but rarely.

9:57 PM.

Popping up out of a sneaky sleep slip, I darted over at Quinn, hearing him snore from across the room. It's time to head upstairs, tiptoeing through the dark hall to my bedroom. The thrill of sneaking out has kicked start my adrenaline, keeping me awake. Bora's words played back in my mind a few times as I shut the door and fidget with little trinkets, biting my thumbnail. I veer up to the rainbow green analog clock over my desk.

It's 9:58 PM.

Shouldn't he be here? A light tap on the window made me jerk as my stomach is filling with butterflies. Bora. I rush to him as he balance himself in the tree, gesturing for me to unlatch it. I opened it to where I didn't make any noise, but the darn thing squeak.

"Bora, you're here."

"Could that door be any louder?" He balanced himself on narrow branches.

"Hush. I'm having second thoughts." I veered my sights at the room door. "My parents might hear me leave out the backyard door." I face him, and he's in my face with a tiny curled lip.

"You're not taking the door."

"Then how am I getting out?"

"My back, silly." Bora pivots his body to allow me to mount his back. "We will be home after an hour, I promise."

He reached to guide my leg, but the odor of burnt wood breeze coming through the window was telling me I will be outside this house in the next few seconds. Better to prepare. "I need a jacket." I rush to my closet, snatching a black jacket off the hanger to match my black tights and sneakers. If I'm going to commit a crime, I need to wear criminal colors.

"Gem, we should get going."

"I'm coming." I rushed over and hesitated, noting the height. Bora.

He glanced over his shoulder. "What's wrong?"

"Have you ever played the trust game?" I undergo dizziness, staring down too long.

"What's that?" He adjusted himself for better stability.