Chapter 2 | The Hanta Tribe

Bridget, my grandmother, cleared her throat

Bridget, my grandmother, cleared her throat. "The Hanta tribe was an unusual group with big prideful hearts." She hugs her fruity pebbles quilted sweater over her chest. "They hunted dire arctic wolves for white fur and used long wooden staffs shaped like claws for protection during the heavy winter. After killing them, they adopted their names, labeling themselves as The Great Arctic Wolf, Alaska's apex predators. And even if it was cruel, the civilians did not dare question their actions."

"Phew, this story might be a minute. Let me get Quinn in here. He may want to join in on the excitement." I lean forward towards the cracked door, turning my mouth into a megaphone with my hand. "Quinn, our Grandma, got a story for us."

"Oh, honey, Quinn is asleep."

My brows raised at her ignorance. "Or Quinn could be at the house party on the next street."

"Huh?" She furrowed her eyebrows.

"Huh?" I responded. "So, what happened next?" I redirected the conversation, but Grandma hesitated. She may have seen straight through my mischievous statement yet continued.

"They were an army of 200,000 fighters of men and women. They were roguish loners who marauded civilizations, hunting and invading their lands. One day, another tribe called Nanook traveled from the western part of Alaska, far from horrific earthquakes, to go east for survival."

"The Nanook tribe met the barbarous warriors with peace offerings and respect, but their pursued methods of hunting disgusted them. The Hanta toyed with their prey, allowing it to run until it tired out, then striking, ripping it apart. It was often for sport, leaving it to rot, causing difficulties for others to feed." She narrates, using hand gestures to keep it interesting.

"Disgusted, huh? People hunt for sport today. I know how this ends. They lost the war, another stinky boot story."

"Not quite. There are government regulations to keep this from happening and it's nowhere near the same damage the Hanta tribe created on other lands."

"So, the Nanook tribe you mentioned, are they wolf people, too?" I inquired, interested again.

"No, they were warriors who practiced religion. The tribe considers the sun to be God and exercises a healthy life. And that space is our galaxy only." She showed a picture of them praying to the sun in blue-green robes.

"Ha-ha, what a wake-up call. I bet they believe the sky is falling." I snickered, while putting my hands between me and the sky. "The cloud is going to smash us."

"Gemma!"

"Alright, sorry." I straightened my posture. "What happened next?" I leaned in further.

"The Nanook tribe confronted the Arctic wolves, ordering them to let go of their unclean way of living. They refused to listen or obey orders and did not tolerate challenges. They continued living as they saw fit, and the Nanook people grew angry with them."

"One day, the Sun God spoke to the Hanta tribe, requesting them to listen to their brethren. But they bared their teeth, and they sickened him."

"On the 19th day of November, as your birthday. They pursued the war with the Nanook tribe and ended in becoming cursed for eternity, unable to produce offspring. Once in a century, since they were extinct, they were born from a gray wolf mother for a chance to prove they are worth being amongst the living. Everyone targets them until the curse is lifted."

"It was a devastating war that eradicated them from the maps. The last wolf living dragged his legless body. The Sun God approached him, kneeling to his level. Could you tell me why you hate, Young-one? He had a lava-like tone and his shining presence that made it difficult to discern his form."

"He grew angry by his question and said I will die rather than obey another man. I will do as I please and live free from rules without the chains you force upon us."

"You are an invasive kind to this world, the Sun God responds, casting light in his eyes that resembles daylight. You will carry these eyes honoring the Nanook tribe you consumed even after giving a chance."

"Do not damn me, the Hantian barked back, as he lifted his hands to block the light. It was futile."

"Quiet delinquent, the Sun God demanded. You will only be born once every century to fulfill your fate. But you only have seven attempts. I am a fair God. I will give you the power of the sun to survive, but you will cease to exist after your seventh death. The moment you understand your fate, pray to the sun sculpture. And with that, he disappeared."

"Wait! What do I have to fulfill? The Arctic wolf cried out. The human stabs the half-man, half-wolf back with a sword, ending his suffering. He only had six lives left." Grandma ends the story with a calm voice.

"And his fate?" I needed to know the ending.

"Do you feel sorry for the Hanta Tribe? But you hate supernatural creatures?" She cackled.

"Well, technically, they were wolf murders and I am not a Chucky doll. I feel bad for the Hanta people. They thought the sky was falling." I twiddled my thumbs and looked up at her, dead silent.

"You added that," she stated, widening her eyes.

"Meh, I enhanced the story."

"Sure, I think you may have outgrown my ghost stories." Grandma meant and cackled as though I was being ridiculous.

"Nope, I still watch Disney."

"Ha-ha, okay." Grandma stood up, stretched her back with a stretchy yawn, and announced. Time for bed! Her face was beaming as she looked at me. I crawled in between my sheets.

"Awe, but I want to know if he figured out his destiny." I pouted.

"Well, that will be up to you. You have the power to finish an unending story. Just dream a lovely dream." Grandma tucked me into bed and walked to the door, gleaming a warm smile before closing it.

Dream? I pull my blanket up to my mouth. The only thing weighing on my mind is the dog demons and a running kid. After what feels like an eternity, I doze off into my pillow. 

Thank you for reading

Don't forget to step out into the world and enjoy the sun.☀️