Chapter 30 | The Impulses

I lean near the window pane watching the droplets dance across it

I lean near the window pane watching the droplets dance across it. Gwen is on the other end of this line, chewing me out about how I haven't checked in.

She tells me she had the cops involved, trying to report a runaway. But since I am eighteen, that doesn't compute. So the cops told her to report the incident as a missing person, but it must be after twenty-four hours. I probably should be more responsible, so they won't have to worry.

Bora sits at the edge of the sofa while his elbows, resting on his knees, staring.

I turned my back to him to hide my conversation. "Mom, you remember Bora, right?" We've been catching up." I look over my shoulder. "No, he's not a troublemaker." I face the window again, whispering. "I will show up at the party, okay? You don't have to worry." And I hung up the line.

"Parents still don't like me, huh?" Bora asked as I eyed him, feeling bad that he knew. But it didn't sound like he cared.

I face him leaning against the window. "It doesn't matter." I walk over to him. "I'm surprised they remember. I guess everyone's memory is coming back." I sit next to him, resting my head on his shoulder.

"I have another question. Why are my parents contacting you?" He looked my way, brushing his lips against my temple.

I breathed, knowing this question would come. "Your parents are the ones who ask me to go after you. So they are probably trying to see if I- Bora cut me off and stood before me.

He furrowed his eyes. "My parents sent you after me?" He sounds angry, pointing at his chest.

I moved closer to him, gently rubbing his arm. "They told me about your situation, but I chose to do it."

Bora shook his head. "I'm sure they manipulated you to do it. Gemma, I'd rather you be safe than chase after me." His eyes laid on me, saddened.

"A few days ago, I moved here with my parents because of their job. And I ran into yours at the town meeting. They helped me remember you because six years ago, my memories vanished, but they showed up and sparked them. I don't regret saving you." I hugged his waist as he placed his arms around my body. "You wouldn't be here if I didn't take the necessary risk."

"What were you saving me from?" He whispered.

"Yourself." I hugged him tighter. "Your parents explained you were out of control and that the gray wolves would harm you," I confessed. "I couldn't let you die."

"Yeah, but still." He sighed. "I'm sorry, Gem." He let out as we stood, embracing each other.

I slightly receded, pulling hair away from my lips, and looked at him, smiling. "Gwen told me I need to have all my stuff moved out by tonight because the landlord will be coming over to repair the cabin. And we won't be returning." I headed over to the steps while he watched me. "Want to help me pack? I half-smiled.

He sighed. "Sure." He said with a sad smile, following me up the stairs.

Bora is cleaning himself before helping me out with my stuff. I gathered all my things from the dryer and rummaged through the room for the rest. I tightly folded my clothes and stuffed them into bags.

I laid my jacket on the bed to fold it and felt something hard in the pocket. I unzipped it and found the sun necklace.

Oh, you slipped my mind with all the incidents going on. I laid it in my jewelry box open drawer so I won't forget to wear it.

"Hey, you found it." He comes out of the bathroom, rushing over to my white chest.

I rested my hands on my hips. "Yeah, your dad let me know in so many words; that it belongs to you. I found it in my garden. How did it get there?" I stared at him for an answer.

Bora picked up the chain and strolled over to me, putting it around my neck. "My dad and I were patrolling the neighborhood, and I thought someone was in your yard." He gently turned me around to face him. "And I fell in your bushes because a raccoon scared the crap out of me." He said as we both started chuckling.

"Wait." I came to the realization. "Was that you; I was chasing after?" I said with a comical smile. Bora nods his head and cracks a funny smirk of guilt.

"Oh my God," I laughed, leaning into him while clenching his arm. He gazed at my touch and then at me adoringly. My legs are rigid, but my heart is sailing. And although I want to kiss him, I'm at war with my hesitation if I should.

"Anyway," I pull back and grip the pendant, letting my thumb rub the smooth surface. I'm sorry, but I'm too nervous to initiate the first move.

"I'm about to take a shower." I fan my shirt in and out. "I feel yucky from that rescue."

Bora hopped on my bed. "Okay, I'll be out here waiting." He said, smirking at me.

I giggled. "Okay, I'll be out in fifteen minutes," I explained as Bora noted with a smile. I walked inside the bathroom, shutting the door.

I turned on the shower and checked the temperature until it was warm, dazing about how Bora and I were in the same room when he almost kissed me and how I wanted to just now. We both like each other, so I have no reason to hold back. So, why am I so nervous about it?

Hmph, Bora and I like each other. Who of thought? Maybe it has always been there because it is so easy to admit.

I stripped down to my birthday suit and stepped into the shower, closing my eyes and letting the water wash over my face. Bora's lips slipped into my thoughts as I visualized him doing things that would be inappropriate in the eyes of onlookers. My hands crept up between my breasts, tilting my head back.

"Bora," I whisper as my hands proceed up to my neck. I open my eyes and take a deep breath. My emotions are starting to become overbearing. I want to take us further, but I think; what got me nervous is that he's an actual wolf, no, a shapeshifter, to be exact.

But is the perfect person to be in a relationship with me. I trust him, and he respects and protects me. He's not in it for himself, but he never was.

I spent another ten minutes in the shower and walked in front of the mirror, drying my body. I stand there, imagining Bora kissing my neck. I closed my eyes, putting my praying hands together.

"Stop it, Gemma," I tell myself. I wrap my mid-length, dress-like robe around my body and step out of the bathroom, catching Bora staring at me.

I halted, raising my brows. 'What?" I let out, bewildered by his stare.

And at that moment, I saw humanity leave Bora's iris, glowing brightly.