Chapter 2 - A New and Mysterious Friend

Lucario was woken up when she sensed something was wrong. It was dark outside and clearly late at night, but she couldn't ignore what she had sensed. She knew Kyra would be annoyed if she didn't wake her to warn her, so she began to shake Kyra to wake her.

Kyra groaned from her sleep, she reluctantly opened her eyes and saw Lucario was trying to wake her up. "What's wrong? Is everything OK?" she asked quietly from her half asleep state.

"Something's not right. It woke me up, can we go and check it out please. Even if we don't find anything, maybe a walk will help me to clear my head," Lucario explained, she too staying quiet so as not to wake Willow up.

Kyra knew she couldn't ignore Lucario's concerns. She grabbed a hoodie and pair of joggers from her bag and quickly slipped them on, grabbing a pair of trainers too since they were quicker to slip on than her boots. "Alright, let's go. It's just gone four in the morning, so we can stay out for a bit and relax together if you want to after getting to the bottom of this," she replied.

Lucario led the way to where she had sensed the disturbance once she and Kyra were outside. Kyra could tell just how on edge Lucario was by the fact her aura sensors were raised. The two headed reached an outlook area at the north side of the city where Lucario stopped and lowered her sensors.

"It's gone, I lost track of it," she sighed, growling at herself for having lost track of the aura she had sensed.

"It could be a predictive sense maybe? We'll stay here for a while, there's quite a nice view despite it being dark here. Your aura hasn't been wrong before, I have no reason to believe it'll start being wrong now. I believe in you," Kyra reassured, calming Lucario down and stopping her from feeling so down about herself.

Lucario nodded and she settled her nerves. She was glad to have Kyra as her trainer, she always knew how to calm her down when she was stressed.

The two talked for a while whilst they waited for something to happen. Neither Kyra nor Lucario could get enough of the other's company, any time they were alone like this they always enjoyed.

"You can also understand pokémon? I thought I was the only one," a voice said from behind.

Lucario turned and growled, she didn't take kindly to anyone coming up behind her or her trainer. "Back off! Kyra doesn't want anything to do with your evil schemes! Kyra, this is the aura I sensed earlier, this guy's no good. Do you want me to deal with him for you?"

Kyra turned too to see the boy who looked about her age with a pokémon on his shoulder. She didn't want to jump to conclusions as Lucario had done, but she didn't want to risk anything happening to either if them either. "If you can understand pokémon, prove to us we can trust you. No evil person could understand pokémon as you're describing. What did Lucario say I didn't want to have anything to do with?"

"That you didn't want anything to do with my evil schemes. Apparently there is something off about my aura that is causing Lucario distress. My name's N, this is my partner, Zorua. She may be a little mischievous, but she's not evil by any means," N explained, introducing himself to try and calm Kyra and Lucario down.

Lucario stopped growling and she let her guard down slightly. She still didn't trust N or his Zorua, but she didn't keep up the aggression.

"Sorry for that, Lucario just sensed something off earlier so we came to check it out. As Lucario said, my name's Kyra," Kyra introduced in return.

"No need to apologise, it's nice to see Lucario really cares for you. So, where are you from if you don't mind me asking?" N asked.

Kyra was releived Lucario's aggression hadn't narked N, he seemed nice enough and she wasn't going to let her judgement get clouded over until it had a reason to. "We're from the Sinnoh Region. We got to Unova yesterday. What about you?" she replied.