Chapter 4 - This Was A Hump And Dump Situation

"Inoperable optimism?"said Namjoon, reading a book cover.

We were in a bookstore and we're trying to find the books Jin had told me to read. Namjoon had read one of the titles out and seemed really freaked out by it. He gave me a confused look. He found the book and picked it up. He started reading the back of it about the author.

"Mystic psychiatrist? What is that?" He seemed really confused now. "Why are you buying this?"

"My therapist said that I should read it so I'm going to read it," I explained. He didn't seem convinced that it was a good idea. He threw the book into my arms and continued looking around the aisle we were in. He saw a book and picked it up, holding it for me to see. It was a book about Mardi Gras.

"Let's go to Mardi Gras," he said. I couldn't tell if he was kidding or being serious.

"Why would I go to Mardi Gras I have a boyfriend and all you do is get laid there," I said, rolling my eyes at him.

"You have a boyfriend?" he asked. I gave him a look. "Oh yea, I forgot. Why would you go away with me to a big sex party when you're not getting fingered or tongue fucked here?" he said sarcastically and way too loudly. I tried to shush him because he was being embarrassing. He rolled his eyes at me and looked around the store. Suddenly, something caught his attention. I looked to see what it was. Of course, it was another blonde girl. Now it was my turn to roll my eyes at him.

"You know what?" he asked.

"What?" I prompted him.

"I'm gonna take advantage of this whole thing," he told me.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused. He took the list of books from my hand before I could stop him and walked swiftly over to the blonde. I noticed that she had a name tag in so she must work here. They were close enough that I could hear but I kept my head down pretending not to listen.

"Hi Claire? Claire," he said, reading her name tag. "I'm Namjoon." He gave her a warm smile.

"Hi, how can I help you?" she asked, returning the smile.

"I was wondering if you could help me to find some of these please?" he asked and handed her the list. I looked up and she was reading the list. Joonie looked back at me and I glared at him. What was he up to? He winked at me and turned back to Claire.

"Are these for you?" she questioned, her eyes wide. Then she realised what she had blurted and shook her head. "I'm sorry that's actually none of my business."

"No don't worry about it!" he laughed making her feel less awkward. I kept glancing up from a book that I had opened to see what he was doing. He continued.

"Thank God these aren't for me! No, these are for my friend, that girl over there with the beanie on," he told her and started pointing me out. I had been looking up when he mentioned 'the girl' but when they started staring at me I shifted my focus back down to the book. Why did he have to embarrass me so much? Here I was standing beside a bookshelf with a beanie on my bald head. I started sweating from the nervousness of people staring at me.

"That girl?" Claire asked pointing at me.

"Yea they're for her. She's my buddy and she's really sick."

"Oh, that's awful."

"Yea she's got type four back cancer." I rolled my eyes. Back cancer. He started tearing up and wouldn't look her in the eyes. I wanted to eternally roll my eyes at him.

"Oh no!" sighed Claire. I could hear the upset in her voice.

"I know it's quite sad," said Namjoon. "But I don't like to focus on that! I take it from the positive side! I take her out to bookstores, on walks, out for snacks." He was making me out to be some kind of simpleton. As if I couldn't take care of myself! God he would get an earful when we were alone again. Although, his tactic seemed to work because Claire was interested.