Part 46

TOLD IN EDEN'S PERSPECTIVE

If only I had the strength to break through the barrier.

But it's all gone.

So why am I still here? Pounding, on the barrier, for Father to let me out, so I can see Zinnia, Apologize for real.
But Father said I had my time.
And now it's over.

I step back and breathe heavily as I kick the barrier with my leg, again, until it's sore.

''Jesus... Christ...''

I hit my head onto the barrier purposely as I wrap my arms over my head and close my eyes.

I can't be stuck here. Not again.

A tear strolls down my cheek as soft, pounding footsteps walk in from behind me.

I shake my head. I really don't want to hear Father is here with me right now.

The footsteps stop.

Almost as if I'm some monster.
Even though I am.

''Eden...''

I freeze.

It's- A high voice. A changed one. But I know it.

I turn around.

And right there- a tall lean girl figure stands only 6 feet away from me.

Her black hair is long and reaches past her feet, her loose jeans ripped and pulled down slightly from all the belts wrapped around her waist. Her no sleeve shirt cuts right over her belly button, and you can tell she's hurting.

I stare at her for a long time.

I know her.
I knew her.

My mind flashes back through all those five years ago, the barrier,  dying,  time together, what she looked like. What she sounded like. My little Chingu.

My breathes trembles in shock as I step towards her.

''S- Sae..?''
The figure stares at me and nods.
Sae slowly smiles with tears in her eyes.

''You've gotten so old, Eden.''

Tears stroll down my cheeks as I run towards her.

She drops the long knife she's holding onto the floor and runs back towards me.

We clash together.

I sob into her shoulder as I wrap my arms around her shoulders and chest and she places her arms around my neck and back. I hold her.

Her body is cold.

Hurt.
Trembling.

''Sae- I can't tell you, H- How much I missed you..."

I hear her sniffle and dig her head further into my shoulder.

''I thought you- I thought you died... I thought I lost you..''

Then- I feel her grip on me loosen.

And she pulls away, her eyes closed as she looks down at her shoes. Soft tears sink down her cheeks.

''How old are you?''

She asks, her eyes still closed.

''18.''

I reply softly, as she still doesn't open up her eyes.

'' I'm.. 19. I haven't seen you since I was 14.''

I nod.

''And, I missed you! So much, Sae..''

She sighs.

Oh, She's changed so much. The way she looks. The way she talks. It's like she's crazy.

''Eden. Y- You let me die on that highway that day. You didn't help. You just panicked. You panicked so bad- that- That I had to die. When it should have been us that died. Not just me. You-''

''You left me.''

She opens up her eyes to look at me in mine.

''Sae- But you're here now. Alive. I can see you, touch you. Isn't that what matters?''

A Tear strolls down her cheek as she shrugs mindlessly.

''Eden.''

She locks her eyes with me as I stare at her with my breathe trembling.

She gives me a sorrowful look.

She's- She's not even real. She's dead. Only- I, Father. Can see her. (Remember, Eden, doesn't know about the situation with Zinnia.)

''No... I can't lose you again..''

She shakes her head.

''After I laid on that floor, dead, for what seemed like hours, Your Father took me in. And injected me- with what you were tortured with. Eden, that day, I was tortured just the same way as you. On that metal table... Pins. Needles. Shots. Blood. Knives. And I was only 14. And I could feel the pain. And that's when I screamed. I took those for a reason. So I could stay alive- in and out of the barrier. And after that, I- I- I- Became. Fucking Obsessed with you. I would watch you and watch you until you grew to this age. One day- It was your first day out of the barrier. I trained myself all that time to become who I am now. I just wanted to show that I was, belonging here too. And that day, when I followed you outside of the barrier, I reached out my arms to you. And you just went right through me. I couldn't understand. I thought you saw me. But- Your father fucking tricked me. He said he's giving me those shots to live, But no. I'm just dying, more and more every single day. I needed you that day Eden. To help me. I would be alive right now... If you would have helped me in any way you could that day.''

She takes a break from speaking and closes her eyes again, looking down.

''Then- How come I see you now?''

She stares at me.

''Because you took the shots. The torture. This is not a fairy tale, Eden. Us, people like me in the barrier- when your Father is done with this place- He's going to literally kill us all. No matter how crazy. Beautiful. Scared you are. We show no mercy here. And I will be ready. To fight. To kill. Right until I die. With nowhere else to go.''

She fixes her posture so that she is looking straight into my eyes.

''Sae, I'm your best friend- You can stick with me-''

''I was your best friend. Until you killed me.''

''I D- I didn't kill you!''

''You did.''

''Sae?!''

''You did! You, You panicked, you didn't protect me, just when I was protecting YOU! You didn't help, you just panicked, cried, screamed, sat there on your knees, and begged me to fucking get up! Does it look like I was still alive, Eden? I was dead! Fucking dead! And you, you, watched it all! Opened up that shitty mouth of yours and yelled! Cried! I would still be alive, Eden! But no! YOU KILLED ME! YOU FUCKING DID!''

She picks up her long black knife and throws an accurate shot at me.

But right before I cover my hands over my head and try to dodge it, she flashes forward and catches the knife mid-air right in front of my face.

Her face is full of hurt as she breathes softly, her eyes wide.

Our faces are halfway pulled together as she stares at me.

Tears fill up my eyes as she shakes her head.

''I won't let anyone hurt you again, Eden.''

She puts her cold hand onto my cheek.

''I'm the only one who is allowed to do that.''

She proceeds a mouth closed teary smile.

I back away from her as she twirls the knife in her hands and walks away from me, looking back one more time before she enters through the barrier wall.

I know the look she gives me.

And I don't like it at all.