thirty-one; into the abyss

───into the abyss

.・゜゜・───・゜゜・.

The Argo II was shaking as Coach Hedge fired off ballistae, the ground shattering and disappearing into the abyss that lay below it. Callahan stood beside Percy and the two leaned halfway out of the ship, both screaming Annie's name.

"Here!"

Callahan let out a shriek, pushing her body further over the railing as Annie's gold hair came into view. It was full of dust and dirt, her face streaked with tears and dirt stains, and she looked like the most beautiful thing Cal had ever seen.

Percy was leaning over beside her, grinning ear-to-ear as the two reached toward Annie's hobbling form. She was obviously injured, stumbling through the wreckage on a path toward them.

Before Callahan could stop herself or even think about the crumbling ground beneath them, she swung her body over the railing and glided down the rope ladder, and began to pick her way toward Annabeth's stumbling form. The yawning chasm behind her was swallowing up the falling debris, and Callahan dodged a block of asphalt as she moved toward her girlfriend.

"Annie," She muttered as she reached her, wrapping her hand around her's and softly tugging her into her own chest. Annabeth broke down into tears the minute she was swallowed up with Callahan's warmth, and Cal felt her heart break as her shirt began to grow wet.

"It's okay," Percy said, having run after Callahan to join them, "We're together."

He wrapped his own arms around the two of them and pressed a kiss into Annie's dirty hair.

Their friends gathered around them, and Piper knelt to examine Annie's Bubble Wrap cast.

"Oh Annabeth," The girl muttered, "what happened?"

Annie pulled away from the two, turning so she faced their group of friends. Callahan wrapped her arm around her shoulders, keeping hold of her hand as the other was held tightly by Percy. Annabeth stumbled along in the beginning, her voice scratchy as she retold what happened. Callahan felt her stomach drop as the story went on, feeling more and more guilty as Annabeth explained what she had been through.

"Gods, Annie." She whispered, pulling Annie closer to kiss her temple, "I'm so sorry."

"Gods of Olympus," Jason said. "You did all that alone. With a broken ankle."

"Well...some of it with a broken ankle."

Percy grinned. "You made Arachne weave her own trap? I knew you were good, but Holy Hera— Annabeth, you did it. Generations of Athena kids tried and failed. You found the Athena Parthenos!"

Everyone gazed at the statue.

"What do we do with her?" Frank asked, "She's huge."

"We'll have to take her with us to Greece," Annie replied, "Something about her...It'll help us against the Giants."

"The giants' bane stands gold and pale," Hazel quoted. "Won with pain from a woven jail." She looked

at Annabeth with admiration. "It was Arachne's jail. You tricked her into weaving it."

Callahan squeezed Annie's hand and sighed lightly when the girl squeezed back.

Leo raised his hands. He made a finger picture frame around the Athena Parthenos like he was taking measurements. "Well, it might take some rearranging, but I think we can fit her through the bay doors in the stable. If she sticks out the end, I might have to wrap a flag around her feet or something."