Day Dreams

I never felt like I belonged in this universe. This world. This... timeline. The technology never felt right to me. I would have rather held a sword than the rifle in my hands. Live in a castle or even a small plantation, rather than my modern home.

I marched across the battlefield. People I had only known for a little less than a year marched shakily but determined beside me. Others, already fallen. This isn't where I was meant to be. I wasn't meant to be drafted into this war. I was meant to be in a field, or climbing a tree. Enjoying life. But I was instead here.

I didn't get a choice in which life I led. This might as well be where this one ends. The enemy ahead. Nothing to leave behind.

I took a deep breath in through my nose. The foul smell of gunpowder and smoke burning my throat. It certainly felt like this was my end. Being led by my general to my deathbed.

The only friend I made, left laying in the trenches. Pale skin, paler than I had ever seen. Their bright smile, having set like the sun. Along with the shining glint in their eye. Flowery pink lips now gone to darker shades of blues and purples. The cold, now over taking their normally happy soul.

They now rest behind me. To die, but to not be forgotten.

I listen as the gunshots start up again. Our pace increases as we get closer to our targets. I hear the people I have fought with, trained with, will soon die with, drop beside and behind me. I aimed my rifle at my target. The soldier's head being the only visible thing I could see. I ready my rifle and take my shot. It hits its target square in the head.

(308 words)