Cracked cement

You look into the distance, seeing the roadwork ahead (hopefully it does-). 

"I never really noticed the road work." You mutter, looking at the scattered traffic cones.

"Hm?" Stephen hummed.

"Is it a new road being built or has it always been there and they're just repairing it?" You ask him.

He fiddled with his apron, he looked like he was thinking of an answer. He shrugged though.

"I'm not sure. It could be a new one since I've never seen anyone go through there. If it's an old one, they might be destroying it because again, not once has anyone went in or went out from there." He said nonchalantly. You nod. You stood up and started to walk towards it. 

You peek around the cones, there were cracks on the cement. You didn't want to risk breaking it, so you continued to walk on the sidewalk. Stephen didn't take long to follow along. 

"Hey! What're you doing?" He asked, worrisome.  You turn to him.

"I'm curious on what's beyond this road." You continue to walk down the road. Stephen ran towards you, slowing down when he caught up. 

"M..maybe we should go back. There could be something dangerous here." Stephen mumbled. You snicker.

"What are you? Scared?" You tease him, continuing to walk farther. He grumbled.

"I'm not scared." He rolled his eyes, quickening his pace to pass you by. You laugh at his reaction.

"Sure you aren't." You nudged him, still snickering. You see him stifle a laugh. He covered his mouth, trying hard not to let a laugh out. 

After walking for a while, it seemed like there wasn't an actual end to the road. So you two decided to walk back to the store since the sun was starting to set.