eight | irreversible

"I'm sorry this ended so unexpectedly." I looked up at Reese, now fully clothed. He shot me a cold glare before walking out of the suite.

Well, he seems like a dick. Maybe Álvaro did me a favor in a way.

Dorian stood in the doorway as I placed on my bra and worked my way around the room to find my top. She had given me a thumbs-up to go ahead with Reese twenty-five minutes earlier, but the hookup had ended with the news that my ex had shown up to the club.

Minutes later, I had finally located my top in the dimly lit room and approached her.

"Where is he?" Dorian turned her attention to me. She was keeping watch in case anyone came. You never knew when a couple would be lost in the heat of a moment and come down to the suites.

"At our table with Aika and Levi."

I deadpanned. Álvaro wasn't a good conversationalist with my friends by any means. The break-up had only made their image of Álvaro worst, and if he were to say the wrong thing, especially around Levi, the night might end up in a brawl. Levi was fiercely protective of the three of us.

"Jesucristo," I muttered tiredly, rubbing my cheek as we walked down the hall.

The dancefloor and booths came into focus. Well, now or never.

I feigned a false smile as I pushed through the curtains at the back of the club.

I strutted onto the club floor with measured steps. Above me, the lights pulsed from red to blue, and the people that didn't abandon the nightclub to visit the Black Ace danced wildly. The party would continue long into the night.

When I arrived at our booth, I greeted Levi and Aika before turning my attention to Álvaro.

"Hey, I heard you wanted to chat with me?"

"Yes." He stammered out. It was like he was shocked to see me.

"I'm sorry, Aika." I didn't want Álvaro to ruin her night. She nodded, understanding.

"Let's take a walk then." I didn't turn back to see he was following me. I already knew he would be.

We stepped into the night air. The yellow streetlights flickered above us. I had noticed there weren't many cars on the road, as it usually was. Friday nights and weekends were reserved for nightlife or enjoying time at home.

"So why do you want to talk to me?" I turned to face him, gently walking alongside him.

"I noticed you were ignoring my calls, and you posted pictures on your Instagram." He furrowed his brows. His hair looked messy, untamed. Like he had left in a rush and didn't have the time to do his hair as a few strands fell in front of his face. Or maybe because he walked here. He furrowed his brows, halting. "Remember we made plans to go out today?"

"Yes, however, I made sure to message you this afternoon that I wouldn't be able to make it."

I admit it wasn't right of me to change plans on the same day, but I wanted to spend time with my friends. I was trying to level off his dependence on me. It was for the best.

"That's funny because I saw your friends posted pictures with you at the club. You, sure enough, have time for them, but not me." He slurred his words, and he reeked of beer. It seems like he had been drinking earlier and was making a drunken mistake. If anything, something else was wrong.

"How's your family business going?"

He looked blankly at me. "We're at risk of bankruptcy."

There it was.