Six days till Christmas

It was early in the morning when Lotte, Colette, Henry and Frederick arrived at the ski resort. The earlier, the better. The sun still had to rise, but that didn't matter. There weren't many people at the resort yet, but that didn't matter. Fewer people meant more space.

The family of four jumped onto the seats of the lift. The closer they got to the top of the mountain...it got peaceful.

Lotte looked in front of her, getting a good view of the nature. A protein of her mind took in the mountains; light on the ridges, the white snow, the frosty green trees, even the sound of the cable passing over the lift support towers. She let out a breath; it felt like a relief to be here. The stark, cold air hit her face like a slap; this cold was only feelable in the high mountains and nowhere else. At such times, Lotte felt extraordinarily lucky.

They jumped on the snow and made their way to the start of the parkour.

"Oh, my god," Colette whispered speechlessly.

Tears formed in Lotte's eyes. She never would have thought a sunrise would make her feel emotional. The sky coloured pink, orange and yellow at the horizon, and it faded up to a light blue colour. "Wow," she said.

"Okay, girls, now we're here, let's make a photo of you two," Papa said and grabbed his phone. "Then you're free to go."

Colette and Lotte posed and smiled at the camera. They also took a selfie with the entire family.

"Alright, let's meet up at the lift. Be careful, but most importantly, have fun," Pops told his daughters. "Will see you down the mountain!" He put on his ski goggles and skied away.

"See you," Papa said and left.

Lotte looked at Colette. "I'm just speechless, this is breathtaking," she said and put on her ski goggles as well.

"Amazing," Colette replied. "Tschüss!" She moved away.

And the best part only just began, first run of the day. Lotte felt excited, as if she never stood upon a pair of skis. She knew she could ski, it was just a while since the last time, so the anxiety to fall and fail came up.

She made herself ready. Skiing in that moment was the entire reason for her existence. Lotte shut down her mind. She guided her skis down the mountain along the smoothest line of least resistance. It was important to make the right turns and never give up the refinement work, the process reaching toward the perfect turn. Skiing never left the same patterns behind, just like a leave, human, river, snowflakes. No two turns were the same, and once made can never be redone.

Skiing was all about the adrenaline rush. It was a combination of excitement, loss of control, exhilaration and a sense of freedom. Perhaps even with a touch of danger, which was the fun part; living on the edge.

A smile was resting on Lotte's face, even though nobody could see it. This was the moment she could think about the most simple things or think about nothing. She was processing the last couple of days, kinda debriefing it with herself. A lot had happened, but also not. Seeing the Schumacher's again after a couple of years was odd, but a good odd. They all have changed so much.

She was the last one to arrive at the end of the parkour. Her family was waiting for her. She made her way to them and removed the goggles by placing them on her forehead. She put down her neck buff and widely smiled.

"It looks like you never had a break," Papa mentioned and smirked. "Smooth movements."

"I feel stiff," Lotte smirked. "Gosh, that was so much fun."

"Let's go again," Colette excitedly mumbled into her neck buff. "Lot!"

"Let's stay in touch, we will meet later today!" Papa mentioned, letting her girls do their own thing. "I've not seen them this happy in months. No pressure, just fun," he shared his thoughts with his husband.