Miracle

CHRISTMAS MORNING

"Ben. Wake up." I rolled over to see my friends standing over me, Zoe with her hand on my arm. I had spent the night in Erica's room, too sad to even move. None of my friends looked much happier.

"There are presents downstairs," Jessica said.

"Uh... thanks, guys. I'll be down in a minute." I gulped, then watched my friends hurry down the stairs. I got out of Erica's bed and looked at myself in the mirror. I was a mess. My eyes were puffy from crying all night and my brown hair was messy and sticking up in all angles. I smoothed it out the best I could and trudged down the stairs. All my friends were standing around the tree.

"Mom texted me saying to start gifts without her and dad," Trixie said quietly. Her eyes were also bright red, showing that she had probably cried herself to sleep as well. We all sat somberly under the tree. 

"Ben, you go first." Chip handed me a wrapped gift. I couldn't help but laugh. Whoever had wrapped it had terrible wrapping skills. They had used what looked like a whole roll of tape and hadn't used enough paper, so had gone back over it patching up the open areas. 

"Who-" I started.

"Alexander." all my friends said at once. We all laughed slightly. I opened the gift and found inside was a pair of black sneakers that's soles came off revealing secret compartments. We all went around unwrapping the wrapped gifts Alexander had taken over the wrapping for all of us. Finally, there was only one gift left under the tree. Jawa picked it up and handed it to me. The label read: 

To Smokescreen
From Erica 

I slowly unwrapped the gift and when I saw what it was I began to cry again. It was a framed photo that Catherine had taken of Erica and me (she had a habit of trying to sneak pictures of the two of us when we looked "cute"). It was a picture of Erica and me on the Emperor of the seas. It had been taken right after Erica had kissed me. We had then stood there, arms around each other, staring off into the sunset. 

"When did that happen???" Mike asked, incredulous. All my friends were gathered around me now, staring in shock at the photo. 

"Erica... looks... normal," Zoe said. 

"Yeah." I choked on the words. "I- I just wish she was here with us now." 

"Maybe she is." I spun around, willing it to be true.

"OH MY GOD!!!" Trixie shrieked next to me. Erica Hale stood there, Catherine and Alexander behind her, all three beaming. 

"Ben!" she laughed.

"Erica!!!" I ran into her arms, embracing her tight.

"I was so scared. I thought I had lost you forever." I cried softly.

"I will never leave you, Ben," she said, stroking my back soothingly. We pulled apart and I looked into her icy blue eyes. They were alive with a happiness I had never seen in them before. 

"Oh gosh-" I snapped back to reality. "I forgot to get you a gift! I'm so sorry-" 

"Ben!" Erica cut me off. "the only gift I want- is you." I gasped. 

"Are you-" 

"Yes! I'm ready." she took a deep breath. "Ben Ripley, would you please be my boyfriend?" I smiled so big it hurt.

"Of course," I whispered. Erica's face was radiant. I was so lost in her eyes that I didn't hear the exclamations of all my friends or Catherine's high-pitched scream. Then Mike ran over with a small green plant in his hand. Mistletoe. He held it above our heads.

"Kiss her already!!!" he hissed in my ear. I laughed.

"Grandpa's gonna kill me," Erica said softly, then leaned in and pressed her lips against mine.

THE END!!! THANK YOU FOR READING!!! LOVE YOU ALL AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!