Truth

"I'm okay," Erica said, pushing herself into a sitting position on her bed. After she had fallen unconscious I had carried her into the house, where a worried Catherine had led me to her room and my friends had joined me. "I just tripped and hit my head. I'll be okay." Everyone seemed relieved to hear Erica say this, but I didn't believe it. Erica got out of bed.

"Trixie, guys, go grab the rest of the boxes and start the tree without us. I need to talk to Ben." 

"Are you sure honey?" Catherine asked, worried about her daughter.

"Mom," Erica said sharply. "Just please, go." I thought I saw her give Catherine a pointed look. Catherine nodded, not happy about leaving Erica but seeming to understand. Trixie led my friends out of Erica's room, oblivious to the fact that something was obviously wrong. Once everyone else was gone Erica shut and locked the door behind her, then sat back down with me on the bed. Her face was creased with worry and sadness. 

"What the hell was that?" I asked her.

"I-" she started, then cut off.

"Don't give me that falling bull, I know something is wrong. You have been acting odd lately, nicer than usual but also kind of out of it." I put a hand on her hand and faced her, legs crossed. Erica's icy blue eyes suddenly filled with tears. I was unsure what to do, so I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into a tight hug. She didn't fight, crying softly into my shoulder. 

"Ben- the truth is- I'm sick." I pulled back, shocked and horrified. 

"What-" I started.

"I have diabetes. Only my mom knows. I didn't want to tell anyone else, so you have to keep it quiet. But- Ben, I'm- I'm so scared." I pulled her close again, letting her lean into my shoulder.

"Shh. It's going to be okay. Your going to a doctor right?" 

"Of course!" Erica sobbed. 

"Then your going to heal! Your going to be okay!" I said reassuringly. 

"Actually-" Erica pulled back, facing me, her eyes red. "I might not be. The doctor- he said this might be my last Christmas."