Emergency

DECEMBER 24

It was Christmas eve. My friends were all hyped up, even Erica seemed excited. Every time I looked at her, saw the smile on her face that I knew was fake, my heart hurt. Everyone was noticing that my mood was sullen and dower, not at all what it should be. We all sat around the fireplace, sipping hot cocoa and munching on cookies, playing a round of truth or dare. 

"Jawa, truth or dare?" Zoe asked, an evil grin on her face. 

"I'm scared!" Jawa said, faking terror. 

"You should be." Zoe's grin grew even wider.

"I guess... dare? Don't want to be a chicken." 

"I dare you to... do the chicken dance." 

"That's not so bad!" Jawa laughed, standing.

"Oh, that's not all." Zoe picked up his phone. "you have to take a video and post it on Instagram." Jawa groaned.

"I knew this would be a mistake." then he danced. I had to admit it was funny enough to make me laugh. Jawa looked sick as he clicked the upload button and the post notifications dinged on all our phones. 

"Okay my turn," he said. "Erica, truth or dare?"

"Dare," she said. "I'm not a wimp." 

"I dare you to kiss Ben." Erica went ridged. Nobody else knew about the fact that we had already kissed twice, once on the ship and once in vail, but Erica wanted to keep that a secret.

"Um... I want to change to the truth," she said.

"You can't do that!" Jessica grinned, excited about the dare. I looked up at Erica. She rolled her eyes.

"Fine. Let's get it over with," she mumbled, pulling me off the floor. I awkwardly faced her, ready for embarrassment. Erica's face was flaming... almost a little too red. 

"Erica... are you okay?" I asked, reaching to feel her face. She leaned in... and instead of kissing me, she collapsed in my arms. All my friends gasped and hurried to their feet. 

"Whats wrong?" Trixie asked, voice panicky. Mike grabbed her, holding on tight. 

"Guys!" I screamed. "Call an ambulance!" 

"Whats wrong with her?" Zoe asked as Chip franticly dialed 911.

"I have to tell you something. Erica- she's really sick."

"Why didn't she tell us?" there were tears in Trixie's eyes.

"Because she didn't want you to worry. Typical Erica." I could feel tears spilling out of my eyes as I cradled Erica's face in my hands. "But its bad. Erica- she's- she's dying."